Job Title: Senior Field Associate
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: TMP023
Vacancy Notice: 008/2017
Reports to: Senior Field Officer
Duty Station: Uganda
Post Grade: GL2
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake regular visits to various sites in order to assess needs of persons of concern, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
- Guide the supervisor on programme requirements and formulate project submissions, including community development and self-reliance activities, where applicable, in collaboration with authorities and implementing partners.
- Regularly monitor and supervise the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure and make the necessary recommendation for its improvement.
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
- Act as interpreter when required.
- Significantly contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing info, preparing tables, etc.
- Regularly monitor refugee movements related to repatriation and other inter-camps transfers. – Inform and act on the reports received on persons of concern within the refugee community or from the local authorities.
- Handle, in coordination with implementing partners, the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Undertake other relevant duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- UNHCRs policies, standards and procedures are constantly and coherently applied in the area of responsibility (AoR).
- The needs of persons of concern in the AoR are assessed and analysed in a participating manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Field Associate job vacancy should have completed Secondary Education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Law, Political Science or related field.
- At least eleven years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Knowledge of International legal affairs relating to asylum, migration and related issues.
- Good computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position is desired
- Prior UNHCR field experience is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 15th February 2017