United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Kenya Country Office
Request for Proposal (RFP)
For Consultancy of “County Health Referral Systems”
1. A referral system is a mechanism that enables comprehensive management of clients’ / patients’ health through resources beyond those available where they access.
A comprehensive health referral systems, which is based on the availability of adequate guidance for service standards, service inputs (human resource, infrastructure, and equipment), and cross-linkages of services across different levels of care, has guided delivery of the existing services.
Turkana and Garissa Counties are part of the counties that contribute to high maternal mortality, as well as Nairobi informal settlements, while Homa Bay, and Kakamega contribute to high under five mortality rates – clearly linked to equity in health care delivery. UNICEF continues to support Turkana, Garissa, Homa Bay, Kakamega and Nairobi Counties intensive programming on maternal, newborn and child health, guided by evidence.
These counties have emphasized the need to develop better referral system. UNICEF focus is to improve infrastructure of referral system in these counties to contribute to reduction of maternal mortality in northern Kenya and under five mortality in Western Kenya.
2. UNICEF support to national and selected counties in strengthening referral systems aims to focus on identifying key gaps in referral systems, enhance capacity of key health workers on management of referral systems and set up of referral systems, specifically Client Movement component of the health referral systems framework.
Support through a potential institution shall focus on two models namely:
Counties (Turkana, Homa bay and) which do not have any referral systems in place, who require baseline assessment to establish the gaps existing, training of health workers, procurement of key equipment required to set up and actual set up referral system and standard ambulance;
Counties (Garissa, Nairobi and Kakamega) which have already been supported by MOH national level and other partners (WHO, Kenya Red Cross, based on MOUS between KRC and County Governments), where UNICEF will only support existing gaps identified by through an assessment to enable these counties to have a comprehensive and functional referral system based on MOH, WHO standards and Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) basic standards for ground ambulances as a component of referral systems.
3. This notice is to invite all institutions/corporate entities with minimum requisite competency/capacity to carry out this consultancy.
- The minimum criteria for qualifications is indicated below:
- The assignment shall be carried out by a firm with: substantial knowledge and expertise in referral systems issues at global and national level, fleet management, dedicated EMTs and drivers, documentation, performance monitoring and coordination and supporting tools, the structures to support implementation of the identified priorities, budgetary estimates including funds for fuel and stocks of genuine spare parts, and resource mobilization plan.
- The identified firm shall have a pool of Consultants with over 10 years consultancy experience in the field of development and managing of referral systems including expertise in the following areas:
- Development and operationalizing a referral systems standard operating procedures;
- Set up of costed and functional referral systems;
- Patient movement plans;
- Development of tools for documentation, performance monitoring and coordination.
How to Apply
4. However, mere fulfilling of minimum criteria does not qualify any bidder to be considered for the award of the contract.
A detailed criteria for evaluation will be outlined in the request for proposal document which will be made available to the interested bidders on written request to UNICEF email address [email protected] to reach UNICEF not later than 16.30 hours (Kenya Standard time) on Monday 7th September 2015.
Request for Proposal (RFP) document will be sent by mail to those organizations who have sent their request in time.
The interested bidders are advised to go through the institution/guidance provided in the RFP document.
Supply section UNICEF Kenya Country Office, UN Compound, Gigiri P. O. Box 44145-00100,