Programme Specialist Job at UNICEF Kenya
In Somalia, one of the world’s poorest countries, extreme poverty, flooding, drought, violence, displacement and exploitation bar many children from the essential services they need. This post is based in Nairobi but support with Somalia crisis with some travel on occasion to Somalia as needed.
How can you make a difference?
The incumbent of this post will provide oversight, quality assurance and technical support to the office’s civil society partnership portfolio, as well as implementation of the Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT) framework. Ensure compliance with the respective operational policies and procedures and mainstreaming of risk based implementing partner management in Somalia Country Office involving the below key functions.
Responsibilities for the Programme Specialist Job
- Oversee HACT roll out process leading to the development of country and zonal level quality assurance plans and HACT processes.
- Oversee support to coordinating macro/micro-assessments and UN inter-agency approaches to HACT application; analysis of macro- and micro-assessment results to determine appropriate follow-up action; development of plans for implementing HACT assurance activities (programme monitoring, financial spot checks, scheduled/special audits). Lead country office capacity development planning for staff and IPs on overall HACT compliance.
- Oversee the PCA process, develop and improve guidelines, procedures, formats and templates, to ensure streamlining. Review PCA submissions from all programme sections for compliance with UNICEF programme priorities as outlined in work plans, RAM, operational requirements and quality assurance of project document with particular attention to assurance requirements and risk mitigation.
- Support CO decision making processes with robust strategic/contextual risk analysis relating to operations and programme risk, including reputation, fiduciary, misappropriation of assistance, partner management, programme management and fraud.
- Support management of third party monitoring contracts and corresponding annual work plans with external service providers to facilitate programme assurance activities and investigations, as required. Oversee maintenance of Risk Management database of Somalia Country Office and submission of high risk partners for review by the risk committee.
Qualifications for the Programme Specialist Job
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in Business Administration, Financial Management, Accounting, Economics, Auditing, International development, Programme/Project Management or other relevant fields is required.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in monitoring and evaluation, finance, risk management and/or programme management is required.
- *A first level university degree (Bachelor’s) in a relevant technical field (as identified above), in conjunction with ten (10) years of relevant work experience in areas identified above, may be taken in lieu of an advanced university degree (Master’s).
- Experience working in emergency country contexts will be considered a strong asset.
- Familiarity and proven knowledge of HACT is a strong asset.
- Prior experience in reviewing performance and compliance with legal agreement is a considered an asset.
- Prior experience in accounting or auditing designation would be an asset.
- Familiarity with UN/UNICEF’s programming and financial procedures is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply