Operations Manager Job at UNICEF
(P-4), #63122, Nairobi – Kenya, ESARO
Categories: Operations and Business Management, P-4
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
Operations Manager Job Purpose
- Under the guidance of the Regional Chief of Operations, the incumbent of this post will assist in carrying out systematic reviews of country offices operations, in order to provide an independent and objective assessment of the rationale, adequacy and effectiveness of the country offices’ risk management and internal control framework processeses and systems with focus on audit observations compliance, response and sustainability within the ESA Region.
- The incumbent will also support the monitoring performance benchmarks for the region, monitoring of the RO/regional Institutional Budget, supporting TRT/PBR activities and providing oversight role to the Regional Office Travel Unit.
Key Expected Results
- Support operations systems maintenance and strengthening by ESAR COs through self-assessments and reviews ensuring relevant internal control systems and processes are implemented in line with audit compliance including risk management approaches and Vision requirements.
- Assists in defining and maintaining offices risks profiles, risk control measures and periodic assessments, updates and implementation of Country Offices ERM plan and related mitigation measures for the identified risk areas.
- Appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of operations policy and procedures implemented to support operations in the ESAR region. This includes support and quality assurance in the areas of audit recommendations implementation, Technical Review Panel and Programme Budget Review (TPR/PBR) policy compliance, standard operating procedures, internal controls adherence, and implementation of operational aspects of HACT by countries in the region by proposing and establishing monitoring tools to report deviations and measures of compliance for periodic review.
- Provide oversight function to the travel Unit to ensure rules and regulations are observed efficiently and effectively.
- Operational reporting requirements accurately and timely reported to the Regional Chief of Operations ensuring integrity in all financial and administrative operations.
- Effective leadership provided in strategic planning and policy recommendations in the area of operations with focus on audit outcomes improvement, taking initiative in improving and strengthening operations management systems in the ESAR Region, including conducting special management reviews in the follow-up and implementation of internal and external audit recommendations and peer reviews providing periodic feedback on the status.
- Compliance with all operational systems and procedures effectively monitored to ensure integrity in all financial and other administrative operations of country offices through support in the monitoring of management indicators and periodic issuance and analysis of performance management reports. Efficient and analytical financial and budget management of the RO and Country Offices to ensure most-cost effective utilization of funds.
- Staff learning/development for effective operations performance developed implemented and enhanced for capacity building by supporting in providing training and orientation to newly recruited and other staff on policies and procedures and risk management practices.
- Effective coordination, communication, collaboration established and maintained with internal and external partners for efficient operations, advisory function, vision and leadership, policy coordination, consultative and participatory management process, external representation.
Qualifications of Operations Manager Job
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in Accounting, Business Administration, Financial Management, Economics, or directly-related technical field(s) is required.
- A valid professional certification (CA; CPA; etc.) from an accredited chartered accountancy institution, in conjunction with a relevant (as per areas identified above) first-level university degree (Bachelor’s), may be taken in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in office management, finance, budget, accounting,
- ICT, human resources, supply and/or administration involving risk management is required.
- Previous hands on experience in a supervisory/managerial capacity is required.
UN/UNICEF work experience is desirable; experience in providing training/capacity building is considered an asset.
- Work experience in emergency duty station is an asset. – Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
- Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
- Ensures that team or department follows relevant company policies and procedures.
- Sets, develops and revises organizational strategy and develops clear visions of the organization’s future potential.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.
How to Apply
Click here to apply