The Kericho Business Integrity Officer is responsible for embedding compliance with Unilever’s Code of Business Principles (the Code) and Code Policies and developing local due diligence procedures and other business controls with a view to embedding a compliance culture and achieving operational excellence in enforcing the Code between Unilever employees and relevant third parties. (S)he will manage the Kericho Code Committee and be a respected and visible Go To person for the escalation of Code related issues within Kericho. (S)he will support the work of the East Africa Business Integrity Officer where needed across Kericho . (S)he is part of the Global Compliance Network, reporting to the East Africa Business Integrity Officer and working closely with the relevant GCs and Business Integrity Administrator.
The Kericho Business Integrity Officer must demonstrate the judgment, drive and influence needed to deploy Unilever’s Code Compliance programme across Kericho for optimal results, in liaison with subject matter experts and consistent with the global Unilever Roadmap for Code Compliance and from time to time assist the East Africa Business Integrity Officer to deploy the Unilever Code Compliance Programme across Kericho.
Education and Awareness:
Global education and awareness programmes, monitoring of completion rates
Additional education of specific Kericho employee / functional groups where required
New joiner awareness and on-boarding, leaver exit process
Maintains an understanding of applicable local compliance laws / regulations and best practices
Deployment of local procedures and controls to cover key local compliance areas
Enforcing COBP between Unilever employees, its customers, contractors, and suppliers
- Promoting the Code and Reporting channels:
- Manage local Code and compliance engagements within his/her geography through town halls, leadership team engagements. Including locations such as R&D centres, SU’s.
- Ensure that all reporting options are clearly communicated.
- Ensure that Country hotlines are accessible via freephone numbers
- Code compliance and (business) risk identification and assessment:
- Review, monitor and report Kericho external issues and developments to the cluster
- Maintain local Code compliance control requirements and procedures
- Engagement with high risk third parties
- Engagement with (local) procurement to ensure 3 rd party compliance with relevant policies and standards
- Manage co-ordination of Kericho Code Compliance Self-Assessment and remediation plans
- Code case handling and Investigations (breaches):
- End-end responsibility for all Code investigation in Kericho, from preparing investigation plan to sanctioning proposal and closing with the Code Committee and supporting East Africa Business Integrity Officer as and when necessary for cases in Kericho.
- Ensure all cases are investigated and concluded in conformance with defined global standards
- Documenting control and process failures and escalating to functional owners for remediation
- Reporting and tracking of process improvements
- Ensure quality of data input into the EthicsPoint system.
- Reporting on Code case statistics to the Cluster
- Informing the RAM Business Integrity Officer, Cluster GC and Chief Business Integrity Officer of any high-risk, reportable and/or WL4 cases when these arise
- Incident response
- Being a point of escalation within Kericho and ensuring appropriate classification and review of compliance incidents
- Preparation of position papers regarding any (Code) compliance concerns / challenges / questions received
Additional Code Committee Support:
Code Business Partner to Kericho Leadership
Support the Kericho Code Committee chair with agendas, reports, minutes and follow-up.
Point of contact for any Code related queries
Managing the Kericho Business Integrity Roadmap and Business Integrity organisation
Key Skills and Qualifications
- A law degree with at least 2 years’ experience in Compliance related work
- A good grasp of relevant underlying legal frameworks, compliance, risk and issues is essential.
- Training and support will be provided to develop areas of expertise.
- The ability to influence key stakeholders and to be an agent for change are essential in this role as is the ability to manage potentially sensitive and complex investigations.
- This is an opportunity to continue to improve the way Unilever operates in light of its commitment to ‘responsible growth’ and to ensure that we are ‘winning with integrity’
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here