Internships – Administration at UNON Procurement Section
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the SecretaryGeneral. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing Administrative, conference, Security and information services (www.unon.org).
The UNON Procurement Section, Administration internship is for 6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and fulltime.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Admin Internship Responsibilities
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Assistant, the intern will:
- Prepare VAT application forms and submit to Host Country Relations office unit (HCRU).
- Communicate with vendors via email informing them of the approved/rejected VAT exemption applications
- Hand out approved VAT exemption certificates to vendors
- Ensure the Procurement files are kept in order
- Archive inactive files by placing in relevant boxes, prepare paperwork for submission to the Archive Unit
- Prepare documentation needed for bid opening exercise
- Collect submitted bids from vendors from UNON Tender box and transport them to the Procurement office.
- Other administrative duties.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having twoway communication
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
- Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Education for Admin Internship
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a oneyear period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Studies in Business Administration, International Relations, or commerce preferred.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the internship, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
How to Apply
Click here to apply