|Job Title:Monitoring and Reporting Consultant|
|Advertised on behalf of :|
|Location :||Nairobi, KENYA|
|Application Deadline :||17-May-17 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||2d 23h 6m|
|Additional Category :||Gender Equality|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 Months|
|UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Against the background of UN Women programme expansion in Africa and increased decentralization of the organization over the last years, UN Women needs to ensure that programmes meet the necessary quality requirements and are aligned to the corporate UN Women Strategic Plan. In response to this UN Women has established a global electronic tracking system for capturing data that allows the organization to monitor cumulative progress and achievement of results as stipulated in the UN Women Strategic Plan. At the regional level, the UN Women East and Southern Africa Regional Office (RO) provide support to Country Offices and Multi-Country Offices in establishing systematic mechanisms for planning, monitoring and reporting on results.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Director; and in close collaboration with Country Offices, the Regional Evaluation Specialist, the Strategic Planning and Coordination Specialist and the HQ Programme Division, the Monitoring and Reporting Consultant will support the RO in the above task.
Duties and Responsibilities
|Provide technical support to the country and regional level strategic planning processes, ensuring plans are aligned with the UN Women Strategic Plan:
· Provide technical support in the Strategic Note and Annual Work Plan (AWP) development processes in the region;
· Ensure linkage of AWPs and corresponding Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) Plans with the UN Women Strategic Plan;
· Review and provide feedback to Development Results Frameworks (DRF) and Management Results Frameworks (MRF) at country / regional level.
Provide quality assurance and technical support to country offices in program management and monitoring:
· Provide quality assurance of program documents through review of results frameworks in order to meet SMART criteria;
· Provide technical support to country offices in the development of Performance Monitoring Frameworks (PMFs) and Baseline Surveys;
· Provide technical support in the development and effective implementation of monitoring systems at country level including the development of monitoring guidelines and tools;
· Synthesize and analyze monitoring data from countries on a quarterly basis, and develop regular management briefs to inform decision-making;
· Visit country offices to support monitoring of results and planning processes as required;
· Ensure there are sufficient funds for monitoring, evaluation and reporting at country/ regional level;
· Ensure timeliness of budget revision processes at country / regional level.
Provide technical support in the reporting of results to internal and external audiences:
· Provide technical support and coordination to country offices in meeting internal and external reporting requirements, including annual reporting process;
· Upload and update regional data into the electronic tracking system for annual reporting;
· Review donor reports submitted by country offices and provide feedback to improve quality and timeliness of reporting.
Provide technical support to donor reporting:
· Provide technical support to country offices in the clearance of donor agreements and Programme Cooperation Agreements;
· Ensure continual improvement of the contract and partnership database management.
Contribute to knowledge management and capacity building:
· Support processes of generating, codifying and dissemination of good practices, lessons and Knowledge based on monitoring and evaluation results;
· In close collaboration with the Regional Evaluation Specialist and Planning and Coordination Specialist, undertake capacity building of staff and partners in the region in the areas of Results Based Management (RBM), Monitoring and Evaluation from a gender quality and human rights perspective;
· Ensure the incorporation of lessons learnt from reviews and evaluations into Annual Work Plans and other planning processes at country / regional level;
· Disseminate feedback and lessons drawn from annual reporting processes to inform decision-making and improve quality of reporting.
· Timely and quality planning processes;
· Quality trainings to staff;
· Timely monitoring and reporting advice;
· Timely and quality reports;
· Quality tracking of contracts and donor agreements;
· Quality information and advice to COs.
· Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
· Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
· Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
· Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
· Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
· Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
Development and Innovation:
· Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
Work in Teams:
· Build and promote effective teams;
· Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communication and Information Sharing:
· Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
· Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
· Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
· Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision-Making:
· Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk
· Ability to provide advisory services in the area of Results Based Management (RBM), demonstrated familiarity with baseline data collection and monitoring methodologies;
· Ability to provide critical analysis of programme result frameworks, particularly with regards to internal logic and coherence between different level results (project; programme; country etc.);
· Ability to synthesize program performance data and producing analytical reports in order to inform management and strategic decision-making;
· Ability to effectively represent UN Women in, and contribute to UN inter-agency monitoring and reporting initiatives;
· Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, civil society and women’s groups;
· Ability to lead implementation of new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
· Strong IT skills and ability to utilize new information technology for optimizing organizational performance;
· Strong communication skills;
· Ability to manage for results including excellent planning, goal-setting, prioritization and organizational skills
Required Skills and Experience
· Master`s degree (or equivalent) in Social Science, Economics, International Development Studies, Gender/Women’s Studies;
· Advanced University degree in Monitoring and Results Based Management considered an asset.
· 7 years of relevant national/international working experience in international development with substantive experience in the area of development and or gender equality and women’s empowerment issues;
· Preferably 5 years of which experience working in the area of monitoring and reporting, including proven track-record in the design and implementation of comprehensive monitoring systems;
· Experience in the United Nations, UN Women and/or other multilateral organization, field work experience, are highly desirable;
· Good knowledge of research methods, solid understanding of knowledge management, and knowledge of ATLAS and Prince II considered an asset.
· Fluency in English is required;