United Nations Support Office for AMISOM (UNSOA)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Temporary Job Opening
Deadline for Applications: 21 August 2015
Date of Issuance: 14 August 2015
Functional Title: Administrative Assistant
Sections Unit: Finance
Vacancy Announcement Number: UNSOA/FIN/ 014/2015
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships
The Administrative Assistant based in Nairobi reports to the Chief, Budget and Finance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent, within delegated authority, will be responsible for the following duties;
- Collects relevant information and documentation related to specific finance assignments; calculates computes and verifies data.
- Assists in observing financial policies in various departments throughout the Organisation.
- Performs other duties as may be required such as administrative-related tasks: assisting in coding and monitoring recommendations, recording of time and attendance, assisting in travel arrangements, tracking status of audit assignments, documenting minutes of section meetings,
- Assists in organizing and maintaining the accounting working papers.
- Assists in processing payments to staff members for their entitlements including salaries, claims, education grants, etc.
- Drafts / prepares memoranda and / or faxes to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
- Responds to queries from staff members and third parties.
- Performs other duties as may be required.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- remains calm in stressful situations.
- Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view;
- establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect;
- identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession;
- actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally;
- contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates;
- shows willingness to learn from others;
- seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments;
- delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
- supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments;
- takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- High school certificate or equivalent and a Certificate in accounting, finance or related field.
- Practical experience with SAP enterprise resource planning system in the UN (“Umoja”) required due to the temporary nature of the opening.
- Four years of experience in finance or accounting, or related area.
- Knowledge of the Organization’s financial rules and regulations as well as accounting policies and practices.
- Ability to maintain accurate records, interpret and analyze a wide variety of data.
- Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and other problems.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their curriculum vitae or United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline.
Email: [email protected]
Vacancy Notice Number and Functional Title in the Subject of the e-mail.
Index Number (for UN staff member) and a copy of the last two performance appraisals.
Applications received after the deadline 21 August 2015 will not be considered.