Job Title: Monitoring and Reporting Specialist
Organization: UN WOMEN
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Representative
Post Level: NO-C
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Job Summary: The Monitoring and Reporting Specialist will be responsible for the planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of the UN Women Uganda Programmes. The Monitoring and Reporting Specialist mentors, supervises and leads the Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (ME&R) team in the Country Office and has a strong regular working relationship with the Regional Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting team. The Monitoring and Reporting Specialist also works in close collaboration with the Programme and Operations teams in the Country Office, UN M&E Group, ensuring successful implementation of the UN Women Uganda Strategic Plan for 2016 – 2020.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical support to the Uganda country programme planning:
- Provide technical inputs to the annual work planning processes ensuring coordination with the recommended timelines and guidelines from Regional Office and Headquarters;
- The job holder will assess the adequacy of results based monitoring, review reporting arrangements by the country office and provide support to the country office to adopt improved Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (PME) systemsThe incumbent will coordinate the review of the Development Results Framework (DRF) and Operational Efficiency and Effectiveness Results (OEEF) plans (or other planning frameworks) and provide inputs for the revision of deliverables and delivery planning;
- Develop the capacity of staff in the country office and implementing partners to have an understanding of Results Based Management (RBM) concepts and techniques;
- Send feedback to project/programme design, including feedback on programme documents, theory of change and results matrices from a PME perspective, as necessary;
- Ensure budgeting for PME, employ reviews of the programme documents; support identification of monitoring, review and evaluation needs during programmes/project planning.
- Offer technical support to the monitoring of the country programme:
- Provide technical inputs to the development of a monitoring and review framework and an annual monitoring and review plan, as necessary;
- Compile data sources, employing collection and/or meta-analysis of monitoring data from the national data sources;
- In charge of developing monitoring and review guidelines, formats and tools;
- Keenly analyze project reports and synthesize the country office’s quarterly, six monthly and annual report;
- Ensure timely delivery of all the reports to the donors and other partners as needed;
- Support senior management in reviewing the delivery rate of the country programme against the budget and in preparing the spending plans;
- Conduct/organize joint team reviews of the projects and programmes on a periodic basis to assess the progress against the agreed results/objectives, efficiency, effectiveness and needs for adaptation.
- Provide technical support to donor reporting:
- Update and maintain an information system for donor contract management, including tracking donor contracts, UN Women’s contractual obligations, other delivery requirements of the contract, grant tranches or installment schedules, reporting schedule and reporting requirements;
- Offer technical support to the country office in preparation of the narrative and financial reports for the donor funded (cost-share funds) projects and in collaboration with the Deputy Representative take direct responsibility of their finalization before submission;
- Work in liaison with the programme staff track the spending of the donor funds and prompt the Deputy Representative about seeking no-cost extension, as necessary;
- Provide technical support to programme evaluation:
- Offer support in the implementation of UN Women’s Evaluation Strategy at country level;
- Support planning, designing and implementation of evaluations and reviews including management of the evaluation/ review process;
- Ensure that management responses to evaluations are drafted and implemented;
- Offer technical support to the country office in the implementation of evaluation findings;
- Organize and manage logistics of reviews and evaluations;
- Represent UN Women in the UN Uganda Monitoring and Evaluation committee.
- Serve as the focal person for the Fund for Gender Equality: Keenly monitor the partners, review narrative and financial reports and provide written feedback, and support them in timely reporting to the Fund for Gender Equality.
- Contribute to knowledge management:
- Develop and expand knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies;
- Manage the process of identifying and synthesizing of best practices and lessons learned that are directly linked to the monitoring and reporting of programmes and programme planning and contribute to their dissemination.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations UN WOMEN Monitoring and Reporting Specialist job opportunity should hold a Master’s Degree in Monitoring & Evaluation, Social Sciences, or related field. Additional certification in statistics, MIS management and Monitoring and Evaluation will be considered as an asset.
- At least five years of professional experience in the field of rights based monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Previous exposure and experience in the management of gender equality and women’s empowerment programmes or analytic work in gender and development, gender analysis and/or human rights;
- Prior experience related to UN Women’s mandate and activities would be an added advantage.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English; Working knowledge in any of the official UN languages is an asset.
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Respect for Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
- Organizational Awareness: Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
- Development and Innovation: Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Work in teams: Build and promote effective teams. Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communication and Information Sharing: Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk.
- Ability to lead Programme Monitoring and Evaluation strategies, policies and its implementation;
- Ability to lead results-based management and reporting;
- Proven ability to develop and manage budgets;
- Ability to implement new systems and effect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong inter-personal and diplomacy skills;
- Good IT skills;
- Ability to take decision under pressure.
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the UN WOMEN in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 8th March 2016