|Posting Title:||PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER (Project Post), P4|
|Job Code Title:||PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME|
|Posting Period:||06 March 2017 – 04 April 2017|
|Job Opening Number:||17-Programme Management-UNEP-73455-R-Nairobi (E)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Appointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension.Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Online applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira “Need Help?” link.
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition. This position is located in Marine Coastal Ecosystem Branch at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Head, Secretariat for the Nairobi Convention, the incumbent will be responsible for:
Project Planning and Execution:-
• Develop systems and processes necessary for the tracking, planning and execution of the project.
• Identify project priority activities and their related costs within the countries of the region.
• Address and rectify issues raised by Co-executing Agencies, Steering Committee, UNEP, Global Environment Facility (GEF) and other donors with respect to project execution in a timely manner.
• Notify the Co-executing Agencies, Steering Committee, UNEP, GEF and other donors in writing if there is need for modification to the agreed implementation plan and budget and seek prior approval.
• Request technical/legal/policy information on the implementation of the project through the Nairobi Convention Focal Points.
• Monitor the project implementation at all stages, including the analysis of implementation difficulties and initiating remedial actions, as well as monitoring of the mid-term review and facilitation of the terminal independent evaluation.
• Liaise with the Co-executing Agencies, Steering Committee, UNEP, GEF and other donors.
• Oversee and maintain liaison between all parties concerned with the project to facilitate any changes or modifications and to facilitate resolution of project problems.
Preparation of Project Documents:-
• Organize and supervise expert meetings, interagency consultations and training workshops or seminars as required by the project.
• Prepare working documents for discussion at the meetings of task teams and working groups.
• Prepare reports on the status of the implementation of the project at the regional level, focusing on gaps to be filled.
• Make available to the project the cash and in-kind co-financing from the Donors and ensure that all pledged third-party co-financing materializes or undertake resource mobilization efforts to compensate for any shortfall in co-financing.
• Present the six-monthly Cash Advance Request with substantiation for the GEF funds for the Project to UNEP.
• Present detailed draft annual work plans on the Project implementation and of the required financing to be approved by the Steering Committee.
• Undertake technical approval of candidates for consultancy contracts with local and international experts and supervision of their work.
• Prepare Terms of Reference (TORs) for consultancy contracts and monitoring of their execution.
Perform other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to develop sources for data collection. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
An advanced university degree (Masters or Equivalent) in the field of marine sciences or in the field of environmental science with proven training and certificate in tropical marine science discipline. A first level university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in national or international organizations with mandate or relevancy to the coastal and marine environment or related area is required. Familiarity with integrated management of marine and coastal resources at senior level in the Western Indian Ocean region (WIO); familiarity with regional development objectives of WIO countries and the goals and procedures of international organizations particularly UNEP is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Click here to apply