Organisation: United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO)
Vacancy Code: 17-Information Management Systems-FMADPKO-73295-F-Entebbe (R)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Section
The Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) is dedicated to assisting the Member States and the Secretary-General in their efforts to maintain international peace and security. DPKO provides political and executive direction to UN Peacekeeping operations around the world and maintains contact with the Security Council, troop and financial contributors, and parties to the conflict in the implementation of Security Council mandates. The Department works to integrate the efforts of UN, governmental and non-governmental entities in the context of peacekeeping operations. DPKO also provides guidance and support on military, police, mine action and other relevant issues to other UN political and peacebuilding missions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within limits of delegated authority and depending on location, the Information Systems Officer is responsible for the following duties:
- Actively participate in the review and development of information security policies and related standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate the implementation of regional and local information security policies. Ensure promotion and enforcement of these policies.
- Develops detailed system and functional specifications, along with user documentation for major systems, including telecommunications systems
- Provides specialized advice to users, and analyzes user requirements to be used for the development of new applications
- Develops and maintains applications that require integration of interrelated systems; makes recommendations for these applications with regards to systems integration and interconnectivity requirements
- The incumbent develops and maintains the information security management system, including information risks across the mission. Establishes an information security and risk management functional capability and framework across the organization. Establishes processes to respond in a timely and proactive manner to significant information security breaches.
- Actively participates in writing reports and papers on systems, system requirements, information strategy, information management and related subjects.
- Maintains, upgrades and enhances operational systems; troubleshoots and provides ongoing user support, resolves difficult problems, advises on the use of new techniques, and monitors transactions to measure performance and continued effectiveness of systems
- Organizes and performs unit and integrated testing by designing and implementing test bases; assists clients/users in acceptance testing
- Develops training materials, operating and user manuals; trains staff on assigned systems
- Prepares disaster recovery plans and ensures appropriate planning and training of the responsible technical support elements.
- Develops plans for major IT systems projects within the Region, monitoring the progress of the design, installation and commissioning of the various networks and systems
- Support the team in the operation and maintenance of internetworking systems that includes routers and switches, operating systems platforms, database management systems, servers, workstations, and related equipment
- Devises and administers disaster recovery plans; provides training for support staff to implement these plans to ensure optimal readiness
- In charge of the proper implementation of backup and recovery procedures
- Maintains a regular review of the network resources access control, data security, and server and data stores security systems
- Ensures that appropriate data security and access controls are maintained for network based applications deployed over Local- and Wide Area Networks
- Ensures all information security systems are properly configured and maintained
- Oversees the user access control for network resources and overall network security
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations DPKO Information Systems Officer job placement should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two (2) years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certification in CCNA Security, Prince2 Foundation as well as ITIL Foundation are desirable.
- At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of Information Systems, Information Technology Systems or related areas.
- Previous exposure and experience in Information Systems and Technology used by the United Nations common system in support of peacekeeping operations is desirable.
- Languages: Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of Information Systems, Information Technology and Information Management, particularly in systems analysis and design and in radio communications, database design and development, application development and support, and internetworking; knowledge of high level programming languages with demonstrated proficiency in programming and analysis, to include functional, structured, object-oriented, scripting and query languages; good knowledge of document design and management, graphic designs skills, hardware and software systems; strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with proficiency in the development and implementation of systems of moderate size/complexity; good knowledge of internetworking with routers, switches, and other telecommunications systems; knowledge of interactive systems; good knowledge of the organization’s information infrastructure and IT strategy; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 21st February 2017