Job Title: Business Support Assistant
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Uganda
Position Grade: SC5
Reports to: Finance Officer
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. . Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas: Saving lives in Emergencies; Building Resilience through Predicatable Safety Nets; Improving Nutrition & Mother-and Child Health; and Supporting Small Holder Farmers to Access Markets. WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Business Support Assistant will provide finance, human resource and administrative support to the UN WFP field office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare quarterly inventory reports for the WFP property at the Field-Office;
- Regularly monitor use of Field Office stationery and prepare quarterly requests for stationery;
- Prepare and submit transport related reports; request for repairs, monthly kilometre readings and vehicle service reports to transport section at head office;
- Set up, classify and maintain files in liaison with the administration unit at Country Office;
- Draft correspondence related or Field – Office official matters;
- Supervise drivers and other support staff at the Arua Field-Office;
- Co-ordinate the weekly and monthly travel work plans; make travel arrangements for staff by allocating drivers as per the weekly plans in liaison with the drivers/or their focal person;
- Manage Petty Cash and Sub imprest disbursements;
- Prepare budgets for the Field Office and its variance analysis;
- Prepare all payments vouchers required for any financial transactions in a timely manner;
- Prepare financial submissions and follow up replenishment at the Country Office level;
- Compile monthly Police and Security Guards attendance summary and process payment documents for approval of HOFO, prior to forwarding to the Country Office;
- Support the HOFO in local purchasing of office supplies and materials;
- Regularly monitor staff attendance and prepare monthly staff attendance reports;
- Maintain staff personal files and ensuring confidentiality of documents are adhered to at all times;
- Work closely with Human resources at head office on issues affecting staff at the Field Office for solutions;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Business Support Assistant job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in either of the following, Secretarial Studies, Business Studies, Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences or any other related field obtained from a recognized institution;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience in secretarial work or general administrative duties
- Proficiency in both oral and written English is essential;
- Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in Office
- Working knowledge of specialized common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
- Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
- Excellent communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme are encouraged to submit their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 30th December 2016