Job Title: Associate Project Control Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10012211
Reports to: Senior Project Control Officer
Vacancy Notice: 006/2015
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Grade: NOB
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The primary functions of project control are to complement programme management and provide support for oversight of projects including the formulation of a monitoring plan, quality assurance, and verification. The Project Control Officers play a very key role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships, and often interact with implementing partners. As a result, incumbents need to be very mindful of all dimensions of partnerships in their interaction with partners (in accordance with the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Senior Project Control Officer, the incumbent will undertake the following duties;
• The job holder will provide extensive partner support in the areas of financial management and also prepare monthly management reports.
• The job holder will also carry out risk assessments, build and maintain working relationships with UNHCR partners and build the capacity of partners in financial reporting.
• Take part in the operation’s annual assessment and planning cycle.
• Keenly review that project agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plans and UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
• Actively formulate and implement a project monitoring plan in collaboration with the programme unit and MFT.
• Keenly track the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit, and report major risks to senior management.
• Regularly review, analyze and verify Financial and Performance Implementing Partner Reports (Part I-IPFR and Part II-IPR), and check accuracy and consistency between IPFR and IPR, in- accordance with project agreements.
• Conduct regular mission visits within the geographical area of responsibility.
• Actively monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR is in line with the approved budget.
• Responsible for carrying out reviews of the internal control systems of implementing partners and provide advice as required.
• Send timely feedback and recommendations of identified variants, risks and issues to the partner, programme unit and escalate to management as required.
• Prepare and submit project control reports with the current status of programme implementation and financial status.
• Carry out timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
• Offer technical input to the mid- and end-year programme review process on issues related to project control and risk management.
• Build and maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
• Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary to perform these duties.
• Perform any other duties as required by the Senior Project Control Officer.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Associate Project Control Officer should hold a good University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics or related field, OR university degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting, auditing or finance (CPA/CIA or equivalent). Professional qualification in accounting, auditing or finance (CPA/ CIA or equivalent) are desired
• At least four years’ experience in the field of accounting/finance, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management.
• At least a year of working experience in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar) is an added advantage
• Detailed working knowledge of international auditing standards.
• Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
• Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
• Excellent analytical skills, planning and organization skills and have a sound understanding of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and International Standards of Auditing (ISAs).
• Broad knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures will be an advantage
• Familiarity with the workflows of major Enterprise Resource Planning financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle) is also desired
• Working experience with accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS) is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover, quoting the Post No addressed to: The Administrative Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail quoting the vacancy notice and position number to: [email protected]
Deadline: 16th September, 2015.