Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Organisation: United States Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary Grade: FP-7; FSN- 7 (Ugshs 39,776,655 to 57,966,365 p.a. inclusive of allowances)
Vacancy Number: 83-15
About US Embassy:
Welcome to the United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda. The United States has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Scott H. DeLisi currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
• United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
• Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
• Peace Corps (PC)
Job Summary: The Procurement Assistant will support the United States US Embassy through the day-to-day procurement duties from inception of acquisition to final rendering upon receipts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The incumbent will carry out price/backup research for cutting and typing of Purchase Orders. Backup research is carried out by faxes, telegrams, telephone and catalogue reviews.
• Follow-up orders: Request for acknowledgements and expected time of delivery. In case of partial deliveries, ensure that orders are fully supplied. Handled mainly by faxes, letters, telegrams and telephone calls.
• Keenly verify invoices by ensuring that they tally with both the Receiving Report and Purchase Orders. Once verified, process payment by attaching copies of the Receiving Reports and invoices to the original Purchase order which is then forwarded to FMO.
• The incumbent will file procurement documents and correspondence in accordance with established filing system. Take and place telephone calls to vendor requesting for invoices, follow-ups on deliveries, price inquiries and ensuring that contracts are administered as stipulated. Obtain competitive price quotations from both local and offshore vendors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
• The ideal candidate for the United States US Embassy employees should preferably hold an Honors Degree in Procurement and Logistics Management or Purchasing and Supply Management is required.
• At least two years relevant experience in procurement related work is required with emphasis on practical and hands-on responsibility.
• Broad working knowledge of procurement regulations, instructions and procedures, use of catalogs, contracting procedures and practices, good knowledge of local market practices and pricing customs is required.
• Working knowledge of U.S. Government regulations and their application to specific situations, in-depth use of catalogs and equipment indexes is required.
• Excellent organizational skills, sense of priorities, ability to understand and process various types of documents, and computer skills in various programs.
• Language Requirement: Level IV (good working knowledge) English ability is required.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
• Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) Download it Here.
• A current resume or curriculum vitae.
• Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional US Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
• Any other documentation (e.g. essays, transcripts/certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at [email protected]
NB: Only electronic submissions will be accepted and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please clearly indicate the position applied for in the subject area of the email submission.
Please use standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) and please send all documents in one file attachment.
Deadline: 4th October, 2015
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.