The University of Maryland Baltimore Global Health Initiatives through its operating arm Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) Kenya implements comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment programs to facilitate the Ministry of Health in Kenya to control the spread of HIV and rapidly scale up HIV services, institute continuous quality improvement methods as well as the M & E infrastructure necessary to support these services. MGIC Kenya is seeking suitably qualified persons able to fill the following position:
“BORESHA MAABARA” (improve laboratory services) is a five (5) year project funded through the US Government Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
The project seeks to enhance diagnostic testing for the prevention, surveillance and treatment of infectious diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis, and other HIV-related opportunistic infections. The project is implemented jointly by the Ministry of Health, National Public Health Laboratory Services, Kenya National Blood Transfusion Service and the respective County Governments.
The position will be responsible for all program activities relating to facility and personnel safety. Key component areas include healthcare waste management, injection safety, infection prevention and control (IPC) and occupational safety and health (OSH).
He/she will be expected to work closely with all program staff in providing technical guidance and capacity building to both National and county staff on implementation of the various guidelines relating to safety. He/she will coordinate the training of facility-based staff on injection safety, infection control and waste management and OSH.
The officer will work with counties to customize the various guidelines.
Duties for the Lab Specialist Job
- Taking the lead in technical advice on injection safety and infection prevention and control at the national, county, sub-county and facility level as may be necessary
- Organizing training of healthcare workers on safe phlebotomy practices as may be required from time to time
- Work with the county and facilities to promote and implement IPC/Injection safety, OSH and waste management guidelines.
- Facilitating the training of laboratory and clinical staff in IPC and Injection safety.
- Providing technical support to counties in organizing and implementing waste disposal networks.
- Liaising and cooperating with the facility Health Safety and public health office and other regulatory authorities on matters of injection safety, infection control and waste management Mentorship and participation in laboratory safety and biosafety audits in health facilities.
- Participating in bio-safety training of healthcare workers as may be required
- Liaising with the county laboratory coordinator, public health officer at county and sub-county level on implementation of the biosafety policies and waste management
- Support implementation and surveillance of post-exposure prophylaxis
- Advocate for the uptake of Hepatitis B vaccination for all health workers
- Developing and maintaining written policies and procedures as required by regulatory agencies and the facility
- Supporting establishment and functioning of IPC/safety/biosafety committees that are comprehensive and address all aspects of safety at facility level including prevention of blood borne pathogen transmission and TB infection control.
- Performing any other task related to safety as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Lab Specialist Job Requirements
- Degree in any of the disciplines above (lab, nursing, public health) or diploma in clinical medicine.
- Training in IPC, Injection safety or OSH
- More than 10 years of working experience in a busy health facility.
- Experience in training health staff in safety and infection prevention and control.
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Registered with the relevant regulatory and association bodies
- TOT in Bio-safety Bio-security is an added advantage.
- Good communications skills.
- Report writing.
- Good computer skills
How to Apply
Kindly send your application that includes a cover letter and updated CV showing names of three professional referees to [email protected] on or before 27/4/2017
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.