Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment. Staff Members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. All staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. Online applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira “Need Help?” link.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org). This position is located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) in the United Nations Joint Medical Service (JMS).
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, (JMS) and within delegated authority, the incumbent will perform the following duties: Clinical Duties:
- Assesses needs of clients visiting the “walk-in” clinic, provides care/advice accordingly or facilitates referral to the UN Medical Officer or to an outside physician as indicated.
- Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or re-assignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments, instruction on the content and potential uses of the “Travel Kit”.
- Provides health education and participates in addressing work environment and occupational health issues.
- Ensures proper co-ordination between nurses, Medical Officers, UN Security and outside Paramedics in case of medical emergencies.
- Runs the 24/7 JMS Sitcen (emergency call center) on Day or Night shift rotation basis as may be determined from time to time according to the duties schedule and exigencies of work.
- Collaborates with the Medical Director and all physicians in developing objectives and establishing policies to ensure quality in the delivery of medical care.
- Develops, implements and evaluates nursing objectives and guidelines related to health care delivery in the clinic and the satellites.
- Participates in the establishment, implementation and evaluation of health promotion and occupational Programmes.
- Participates in the selection process of new nursing staff, ensures their training, updates clinical nursing guidelines, Standard operating procedures (SOPs) and provides the nursing staff with opportunities for continuing education.
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends purchase of medical equipment and supplies. Maintains inventory of medical equipment and supplies.
- Ensures proper collection of nursing statistics to assist the Medical Director in the preparation of the biennium budget.
- Ensures smooth running of the Performance Appraisal System for all nurses.
- Supervises the work of all nurses in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the clinic and the satellites.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of occupational nursing requirements, treatments and procedures. Ability to respond to emergencies and provide first care to patients and prepare for treatment. Knowledge of major medical office equipment and ability to use them in emergency situations; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in nursing. Must be a Kenya Registered Nurse (KRN) or Kenya Registered Community Health Nurse (KRCHN) with a Valid licence from the Ministry of Health. A first-level university degree in combination with the two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in Nursing or related field. Certification in Advanced cardiac life support (ACLS), Advanced trauma life support (ATLS), Pre-Hospital trauma life support (PHTLS), or Emergency Trauma Bag (ETB) is required. Experience in emergency medical services and HIV AIDS management will be an added advantage.
English and French are the working knowledge of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
United Nations Considerations
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on “The Application Process” and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of inspira account-holder homepage.
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at midnight (New York time) on the deadline date.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here