United Nations Support Office for AMISOM (UNSOA)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Deadline for Applications: 09 October 2015
Date of Issuance: 25 September 2015
Functional Title: Finance Assistant
Sections Unit: Finance
Vacancy Announcement Number: UNSOA/FIN/ 015/2015
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the United Nations Support Office for AMISOM (UNSOA), Budget and Finance Section in Nairobi.
The incumbent at this level usually reports to the Chief of a Unit/Section.
- Within delegated authority, the Accounting Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Record and reconcile accounting transactions.
- Analyze staff and vendor accounts and take required action to clear outstanding receivable and payable transactions.
- Assist in the processing of payments to local vendors for good and services. This includes amongst other things, calculating, inputting, and checking payments for correctness and communicating discrepancies to supervisors.
- Assist in processing payments to staff members for their entitlements including salaries, claims and other allowances locally.
- Review imprest and petty cash accounts and process replenishments.
- Draft/prepare memoranda and/or faxes to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
- Respond to queries from staff members and third parties.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
- Work implies frequent interaction with the following: Self-Accounting Units (SAUs), Finance, Budget and administrative officers and staff in the mission, UN Field missions as well as Headquarters and other UN agencies/offices and vendors.
- Under general guidance, process work and related follow-up in an efficient and timely manner.
- Seek advice from and/or report to supervisor as applicable. Incumbent is expected to perform a variety of accounting functions, e.g., preparing journals and disbursement vouchers as required; settling expenditures against budgetary allotments; ensuring accuracy of payroll transactions and proper settlement of travel claims and vendor invoices.
- Knowledge of the Organization’s financial rules and regulations as well as accounting policies and practices.
- Ability to maintain accurate records, interpret/analyze a wide variety of data, and identify/resolve data discrepancies and other problems.
- Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work processes and anticipate next steps.
- Planning and Organizing
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle a large volume of data in an efficient and timely manner.
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Initiative and willingness to learn new skills.
- Technological Awareness
- Knowledge of SAP financial processes and applications as they relate to accounting procedures.
- Proficiency in various spreadsheet, database and word processing applications highly desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
- High school or equivalent diploma required.
- Certificate/Coursework/Training in accounting, finance or directly related fields highly desirable.
- Candidates may be required to take basic accounting and mathematical tests to determine their eligibility for this position.
- Progressively responsible experience within the UN system in the field of accounting, finance, or other related fields is highly desirable.
- Language: Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of a second official UN language desirable.
- Knowledge of UN systems and procedures as they relate to Staff Rules and Regulations relating to entitlements and other related financial regulations and rules and procedures.
- Strong computer skills highly desirable.
- Ability to work productively under pressure and cope with meeting deadlines.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their curriculum vitae or United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline.
Email: [email protected]
Applications received after the deadline 09 October 2015 will not be considered.