Vacancy Numbers: UNSOS/MSB/005/2017
This posting is for the temporary replacement of a staff member on special leave and the selected candidate will be given a contract up to the return of the incumbent of the post currently up to 14 July 2017.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
The position is located in Mombasa. The incumbent will report to Chief, Mombasa Support Base.
Roles for the Administrative Assistant Job
Within the delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties;
Human Resources Management
- Initiates, processes, monitors, reviews and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation, training etc., consistently applying UN rules ,regulations, policies and procedure.
- Liaises with central administration/executive services as required
- Maintains vacancy announcement files and updates track vacancy announcements:
- Provided information and advice to staff/consultants with respect to conditions of service, duties, and responsibilities, privileges and entitlement under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Monitors assigned staffing tables for a variety of human resource activities e.g appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, reassignment, transfer and movement of staff
Budget and Finance
- assistance in the preparation and development of the office’s work programme;
- Consolidates data received and provides support to higher-level staff with respect to budget reviews
- Reviews status of relevant expenditures and compares with approved budget;
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged and (b) availability of funds;
- Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions;
- Prepares statistical tables and standard financial reports;
- Provides guidance to mission and /or subordinate staff
- Identifies and reports issues/problems as they arise, and recommends appropriate actions
- Coordinates regularly with service units and liaises as needed with internal team members both at mission and in sectors.
- Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments;
- Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conferences and translations
Administrative Assistant Job Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Technical training in Finance, Budget, Human Resources Management or Administration is highly desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budget, accounting, audit, human resources or related area. Solid computer skills including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets is required. Specific knowledge of the UN administrative electronic tools, such as Umoja and Galileo is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (PHP) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs.
Applications submitted after the deadline 08 MARCH 2017 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted.
Email: [email protected]
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).