Communication Internship At USAID, Kenya
The PEACE III program is a five year Cooperative Agreement award by USAID Kenya/East Africa Mission to Pact Inc. in partnership with Mercy Corps. The program is a follow on to the PEACE II program that Pact implemented between 2007 and 2012. The program is building on achievements and lessons learned in peacebuilding and conflict management, from implementing PEACE II and other peacebuilding programs in the target areas, to significantly strengthen conflict management systems in the Horn of Africa.
Communication Internship Purpose
- The communication intern will assist the communication focal team manage our internal and external communication of program activities.
- Reporting to the Communication Focal Lead the Communications Intern will be based in Nairobi and will play the key role of assisting and supporting the programme communication needs in Pact Kenya, and individual programs, as may be requested.
- The Communications Intern will assist in the development and support the achievement of objectives and targets related to communications (internal and external) for Pact Kenya To support in the development and implementation of program wide communication strategy both for internal (staff) and external ( partners , stakeholders and general public)
Communication Internship Responsibilities
- To develop innovative and creative ways to document programmatic processes and success stories (e.g. through photos/graphics/case stories/success stories through the use of periodic newsletters, brochures, Posters, website, social sites etc)
- To support in the production of capacity building communication material in liaison with Capacity building team e.g. manuals, toolkits, publications, film clips etc
- Support to Pact Kenya’s programmatic publications and visual outputs such as presentations so they are of high quality and are disseminated appropriately
- Provide communication support in reviewing, editing, inputting on program activities, milestones on reports, new business proposals ,external communication
- Assist in capacity building of communication protocols and guidelines for staff and partner organisations, as may be requested from individual programs
- Day-to-day digital lead of the Peace III website( collating information, monitoring etc)
- Provide administrative support towards the planning and arrangement of PEACE III events, with special emphasis on design and production of materials where applicable
- To take high quality photographs of Peace III event activities, deliverables(peace dividend, beneficiaries, milestones , program activities for tracking, formatting and reviewing and inclusion in reporting documents
Qualifications For Communication Internship
- Excellent spoken and written English: general ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for traditional and electronic media.
- Quick learning curve
- Ability to multitask
- Avid photographer
- Team player and manage relationships
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media
- Knowledge of how to present information to different audiences including general public, media to high level decision-makers.
- Analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan strategically. Skills and experience in communication programmes, monitoring, review and evaluation.
- University Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area combined with university degree in a related field
- Desktop Publishing Training
- Experience in managing development communication a plus
- Knowledge of computer systems and applications, specifically interactive digital media a plus
- Knowledge of photography and digital camera use
- Knowledge of video shooting, editing and production an advantage.
- Demonstrated skill in programme communication, development of Information, Education and Communication material, documentation and publication (including web-based documentation)
- The ability to produce analytical and well-presented reports and publications.
- Monthly stipend of Ksh. 20000( subject to taxation)
- 6 month fixed term contract
- All field travel costs where applicable will be covered by Pact Kenya
How to Apply