Job Title: Data Clerk (Several Job Placements)
Organisation: Send a Cow (SAC) UK
Funding Source: U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
Project Name: Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth in Central and Western Uganda
Duty Station: Uganda
Send a Cow (SAC) was founded in the UK in 1988 to help transform lives, by helping African families and orphans to grow enough food to eat, sell their produce and develop small businesses that last. They have provided livestock, seeds, training and ongoing support, to help over a million lives and their families that live in abject poverty. The Send a Cow Group currently constitutes Country Programmes in seven African countries plus the UK and USA, together with a Group Executive which is based in the UK.
About USAID SOCY Project:
Send a Cow (SAC) will be implementing Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth in Central and Western Uganda over the next five years. The Project will improve the health, nutrition, education and psychosocial wellbeing of vulnerable populations, as well as reduce abuse, exploitation and neglect to a minimum of 625,000 children and 101,500 households in 17 districts in central and western Uganda. The Project is being implemented by a consortium of partner consisting of CRS being the lead, Futures Group, ANPPCAN, TPO and ACODEV.
Job Summary: The Data Clerk will plan with a view to tracking and documenting lessons learnt and quality compliance of the project. The incumbent will also ensure quality, strengthen agent capacity on data collection, ensure design of appropriate data collection tools, collect, enter and clean data, store, and retrieve project data from the project officers as well as directly from the youth, orphanMs and their caregivers in the project area. Using recommended software, the Data Clerk will process and analyse data and generate appropriate reports to his/her supervisor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare raw ata and sort documents / data sheets for the purpose of data entry.To do this, he/she has to cross-verify each and every data before entering.
- Establish entry priorities by maintaining understanding of what data needs to be entered first.
- Check source documents against entered data to ensure data integrity at every stage.
- The Data Clerk will check to make sure that accurate data has been entered into prescribed database software and review data for deficiencies, if any.
- The incumbent will also eecure entered information by creating data backups on a periodic basis.
- Confer with supervisor regarding incomplete information and resolve discrepancies by using standard procedures or return incomplete documents to the team leader for resolution.
- Respond to information access and retrieval requests from authorized officersat the right time in the right reporting style.
- Offer support in developing and maintaining improved records within the database system.
- Prepare and submit automated data entry and integration reports when requested.
- Generate statistical reports based on maintained data on a periodic basis.
- Test new database systems by performing mock data entry tasks.
- Suggest and/or initiate the most effective and efficient data management systems for specific project needs.
- Communicate with project managers and maintain proper information flow and have general project awareness and necessary information. Additionally, coordinate data collection processes and with managers for generating necessary reports, understanding important and key project information, and prioritizing data sets.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Maintain and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID SOCY Data Clerk job opportunity should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics from a reputable university.
- Working knowledge of database designing and maintenance is an added advantage.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in data entry, analysis and reporting in savings-led microfinance models (e.g. Village Savings and Loans Associations – VSLA; Savings for Change, CO-SAVE, SILC, etc), Producer Business Associations, and Area Cooperative Enterprises (ACE).
- Experienced use of data entry and processing software (packages) e.g. EpiData, SPSS, STATA and ATLAS
- Proven data entry working experience
- Typing speed and accuracy at least 40 words in a minute
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, spreadsheets, and data programs
- Trustworthy with an eye for detail
- Analyzing Information
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and data interpretation skills
- Ability to operate under tight deadlines
- Ability to handle project operations, client confidence, and protect confidential information
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to submit the following documents as they apply:
- Complete SAC Application Form, download here
- Submit ‘three key achievements’ according to instructions, download here
Send the completed documents to: [email protected]
Deadline: 3rd February, 2017 by 5:00 PM