Job Title: Senior Finance and Administration Manager
Organization: RTI International
Project Name: USAID Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity Program (LARA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID LARA Program:
The Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity is a five-year USAID activity that supports the Ministry of Education Science Technology and Sports (MoESTS), Government of Uganda’s aim of improving early grade reading outcomes and enhancing safe school environments for children in primary grades utilizing EGR curriculum and methodologies. LARA is expanding the curriculum and methodologies developed and rolled out in SHRP districts to an additional 28 districts.
Job Summary: The Senior Finance and Administration Manager will primarily oversee the implementation of finance, grants and administration standard operating procedures. The incumbent will take part in the design, monitoring and implementation of the project operations policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• The incumbent oversees all finances and administration of Uganda LARA project and ensure compliance with RTI finance and operations policies and procedures.
• Technically support the month end closing processes by ensuring complete and accurate accounting information is delivered to Home Office.
• Prepare biweekly cash requirements, monitor cash flow and reconcile cash accounts to maintain appropriate cash balances.
• Oversee grants in coordination with the project Grants Manager. Regularly review and offer financial support for contract execution of grants.
• Support internal and external audits of projects.
• Coordinate and train project staff on accounting and administrative policies and procedures.
• Mentor and supervise Grants Manager, Senior Accountant, Human Resources Officer and Office Manager.
• Prepare and submit reports as requested by management, RTI Home and Regional Office.
• Review all procurement including procurement under grants, to ensure open competition, strong internal controls with appropriate segregation of duties and in full compliance with USAID and RTI policies and procedures.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The incumbent should hold a Bachelor’s degree with 16 years’ related experience or a Master’s degree and 12 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• The applicant must be a Chartered Accountant/Certified Public Accountant is preferred.
• Prior exposure and experience in USAID/US Government rules and regulations in program management
• Prior experience supervising finance and/or administrative staff.
• Significant experience managing grants and subcontracts
• Prior exposure and experience using electronic payment methods and other innovative systems
• Strong finance and administration skills
• Excellent planning and organizational skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ethics and integrity
• Flexibility to travel
• Fluency in English is required; knowledge of other local languages is preferred.
• Computer literacy skills i.e. proficient in MS Office programs
• Working knowledge of accounting software and QuickBooks proficiency is highly preferred.
• Proven ability to follow guidelines and controls required of the position;
• A willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment is essential.
• Ability to change the thinking of or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs including three work related referees and cover letters to the Human Resource Manager by e-mail to [email protected] Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 16th September, 2015