Job Title: Data Specialist
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Project Name: USAID STAR-E Project
Reports to: HMIS Advisor
Duty Station: Uganda
Job ID: 13-8524
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
About USAID STAR-E Project:
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is implementing a USAID funded STAR-E Project in Eastern Uganda. STAR-E is a five-year USAID-supported District-based HIV/TB Project ending in June 2016, focuses on the prevention, care, and treatment of HIV/TB in health facilities and communities, headquartered in Mbale, with activities in Budaka, Bududa, Bukwo, Busia, Butaleja, Kapchorwa, Mbale, Pallisa, Bulambuli, Kween, Kibuku and Sironko districts.
Job Summary: The Data Specialist will support and strengthen the project’s data quality and reporting, primarily to PEPFAR. This requires understanding of PEPFAR reporting indicators, and their collection and reporting guidelines and formats. It also requires understanding of the data sources for the indicators, which are primarily health management information system (HMIS) tools at health facilities (HFs). The position needs to understand and help ensure that the data from the data sources is accurate, complete and timely. The incumbent needs to understand and be able to oversee the accessing of the data from the data sources, primarily by accessing the MOH’s DHIS2 database, and use the data to report to PEPFAR through its reporting formats. Once the quality of data is ensured and reported on, the person will need to carry out analysis of the data to inform the project for improved programming and support to HFs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Actively monitor if data being collected by health facilities is accurate, on time, and consistent with the PEPFAR guidelines
• Use the data from the required data sources to report to PEPFAR electronically
• Monitor and support districts to input data into the DHIS2
• Actively monitor quality of data from the DHIS2 and other data sources and lead corrections when necessary
• Provide the required data to senior program management for USAID reporting
• Support and participate in quarterly review meetings to share experience and give feed-back on the project performance.
• Stay up to date with PEPFAR’s data system
• Support in building of the capacity of staff in supporting health facilities and district data collection, management, analysis and utilization.
• Support development of job aids and other guides to improve data collection, management and reporting.
• Initiate ideas that will improve HMIS in the supported districts.
• Actively participate in any other activities when the need arises and asked by senior managers.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant should preferably hold a good University degree in public health, statistics, economics or computing.
• The Data specialist should have three years’ experience in database management, web based applications or any other field related to information management.
• Excellent computer skills, including use of spreadsheets and databases
• Ability to communicate effectively both written and oral.
• Prior experience in PEPFAR funded programs.
• Ability to travel to the supported district.
• Ability to work as a team and meet deadlines
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the USAID STAR-E Project at Management Sciences for Health are encouraged to Apply Online at the web link below.
Deadline: 24th September, 2015 by 5:00 PM