Senior Library Assistant Job At USIU, Kenya
Senior Library Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Charging and discharging information materials, process library penalty fees and update user records to facilitate utilization of library services and resources.
- Provide reference information to the university community to facilitate information retrieval and access.
- Provide library user education through library orientation and training sessions, to promote users information literacy.
- Organizing and maintaining library stock (shelving and shelf reading) to facilitate identification and retrieval of information resources.
- Training and monitoring work-study students, interns and attachment students.
- Participate in the weeding of library materials.
- Process and prepare reports of library overdue fines
- Receive, verify and physical processing of newly purchased books, journals and other library materials.
- Verify and claiming of unsupplied information resources to ensure that the university does not lose funds for unsupplied resources.
- Catalogue, classify and index information materials.
- Stock taking and reconciliation for the purpose of accurate inventory audit and valuation.
- Biometric registration for new library users and Laptops registration to facilitate library access.
- Processing materials for binding to facilitate repairs.
- Identify, retrieve and link items on high demand from circulating/course text sections to reserve section.
- Identify, evaluate and examine audiovisual material to determine the quality of reproduction and the suitability of viewership.
- Assist with library clearances to students, staff and faculty.
- Issuing of users’ barcodes to library users to facilitate ID processing.
Qualifications For Senior Library Assistant Job
- A Bachelor’s degree in Library and Information Science from an accredited university.
Minimum Professional Experience
- 3 Years’ relevant experience in a similar position preferably in an institution of higher learning.
- Problem solving skills
- Good customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Planning and organizational skills
- Computer literacy skills
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Excellent work ethic
- Excellent practical knowledge and understanding of Library of Congress Classification System
- Ability to adopt new emerging technologies in library information systems
How to Apply
- If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to work as a team member in a modern and progressive institution where you can make a difference, please apply.
- Interested applicants must provide a cover letter (including salary expectations) and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to the address below by Wednesday, 8 June 2016:
- Human Resources Director United States International University – Africa P.O Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya Tel: 0730 116 257/608 Email: [email protected]
- *If you had previously applied for any of the listed positions, please do not re-apply.
- USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer. Education to take you places.