American Embassy Kigali
Vacancy Announcement No. 34-15
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Open To: All Interested Candidates
Position: Visa Assistant
Location: U.S. Embassy, Kigali
Opening Date: September 3, 2015
Closing Date: September 17, 2015
Work Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
Basic Annual Salary: *Ordinarily Resident (OR): RWF 8,569,329 (FSN-7); *Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): USD 40,665 (FP-7); Final step to be determined by Washington
• APPLICATIONS THAT ARE NOT ADDRESSED AND SUBMITTED AS REQUIRED WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
• Electronically submitted applications must have the position title in the subject line.
• Applicants not contacted within 30 days should consider their application unsuccessful.
• Applicants interviewed will be advised of the results of the interview.
The Embassy of the United States of America in Kigali is recruiting for the position of Visa Assistant. The position is available to start immediately.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Performs work pertaining to the full range of passport, citizenship, and visa services. Serves as the Consular Section’s primary cashier and administrative clerk. Maintains the section’s files related to immigrant visas and U.S. citizen services. Assists with the provision of routine and emergency U.S. citizen, visa, and immigration services. Manages routine correspondence between the section and its customers, including Members of Congress. Liaises with the Government of Rwanda, international organizations and other embassies.
A copy of the complete position description listing all duties and responsibilities is available in the Human Resources Office. ([email protected])
All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
1. Two years of university studies is required.
2. Two years of progressively responsible experience in an office setting with work involving the application of regulatory material and public contact.
3. Level IV (speak/read/write/understand) English, Kinyarwanda, French, and Level III (speak/read/write/understand) Swahili, required.*
4. Must understand general mathematical concepts (addition, subtraction, division, etc.). Able to process computerized transactions. Able to reconcile money and documents, able to generate simple reports. Must have good typing skills and ability to work with Microsoft Office suite and specialized consular applications. At full performance, the incumbent must have knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and procedures.
5. Basic numerical skills are required for simple reporting. Must be able to interact quickly and effectively with mid-level and occasionally high-level Rwandan government officials who need help or are helping with a citizen services or visa case. Must be able to represent the U.S. Embassy effectively to visa applicants and U.S. citizens. Must exercise tact and good judgment in dealing with unusual or complex cases. Standard typing and data entry skill where speed and accuracy is important is required.
*Qualifications will be tested.
When equally qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans will be given preference. Therefore, it is essential that in the application the candidate fully address the required qualifications above.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
5. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their
employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following for consideration of the application:
1. Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) is available at http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/136408.pdf
2. Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application. Candidates who claim conditional U.S. Veterans preference must submit documentation confirming eligibility for a conditional preference in hiring with their application.
3. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
SUBMIT APPLICATION BY HAND TO:
Human Resources Office,
Attn. Fred Ruzindana
(PLEASE INDICATE VA 34-15, Visa Assistant)
American Embassy HR Office
2657 Avenue de la Gendarmerie
B.P. 28 Kigali
OR BY EMAIL TO:
(Please include in the subject line): VA 34-15; Visa Assistant
Point of Contact
Fred Ruzindana, HRS, Ext.: 2733
CLOSING DATE FOR THIS POSITION 09/17/2015
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The US Mission in Kigali provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age disability, political affiliation, marital status, or
sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel
operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to
individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation.
Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for
prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
PLEASE SHARE WITH FAMILY MEMBERS
1. Eligible Family Member (EFM): An individual related to a U.S. Government employee in one of the following ways:
• Spouse or same-sex domestic partner (as defined in 3 FAM 1610);
• Child, who is unmarried and under 21 years of age or, regardless of age, is incapable of self-support. The term shall include, in addition to natural offspring, stepchildren and adopted children and those under legal guardianship of the employee or the spouse when such children are expected to be under such legal guardianship until they reach 21 years of age and when dependent upon and normally residing with the guardian;
• Parent (including stepparents and legally adoptive parents) of the employee or of the spouse, when such parent is at least 51 percent dependent on the employee for support;
• Sister or brother (including stepsisters and stepbrothers, or adoptive sisters or brothers) of the employee, or of the spouse, when such sibling is at least 51 percent dependent on the employee for support, unmarried, and under 21 years of age, or regardless of age, incapable of self-support.
2. U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Member (USEFM): For purposes of receiving a preference in hiring for a qualified position, an EFM who meets the following criteria:
• U.S. Citizen; and,
• EFM (see above) at least 18 years old; and,
• Listed on the travel orders of a direct-hire Foreign, Civil, or uniformed service member assigned to or stationed abroad with a USG agency that is under COM authority, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan; and either:
1. Resides at the sponsoring employee’s or uniformed service member’s post of assignment abroad or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan; or
2. Resides at an Involuntary Separate Maintenance Allowance (ISMA) location authorized under 3 FAM 3232.2.
3. 3. Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM): EFM (see above) eligible for a Family Member Appointment for purposes of Mission employment:
• Is a U.S. citizen; and
• Spouse or same-sex domestic partner (as defined in 3 FAM 1610) or a child of the sponsoring employee who is unmarried and at least 18 years old; and
• Is listed on the travel orders or approved Form OF-126, Foreign Service Residence and Dependency Report, of a sponsoring employee, i.e., a direct-hire Foreign Service, Civil Service, or uniformed service member who is permanently assigned to or stationed abroad at a U.S. mission, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), and who is under chief of mission authority; and
• Is residing at the sponsoring employee’s post of assignment abroad or, as appropriate, office of the American Institute in Taiwan.
• Does not receive a Foreign Service or Civil Service annuity
4. Member of Household (MOH): An individual who accompanies a direct-hire Foreign, Civil, or uniformed service member permanently assigned or stationed at a U.S. Foreign Service post or establishment abroad, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan. An MOH is:
• Not an EFM; and,
• Not on the travel orders of the sponsoring employee; and,
• Has been officially declared by the sponsoring USG employee to the COM as part of his/her household.
A MOH is under COM authority and may include a parent, unmarried partner, other relative or adult child who falls outside the Department’s current legal and statutory definition of family member. A MOH does not have to be a U.S. Citizen.
5. Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR) – An individual who:
• Is not a citizen of the host country; and,
• Does not ordinarily reside (OR, see below) in the host country; and,
• Is not subject to host country employment and tax laws; and,
• Has a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN).
NOR employees are compensated under a GS or FS salary schedule, not under the LCP.
6. Ordinarily Resident (OR) – A Foreign National or U.S. citizen who:
• Is locally resident; and,
• Has legal, permanent resident status within the host country; and,
• Is subject to host country employment and tax laws.
EFMs without U.S. Social Security Numbers are also OR. All OR employees, including U.S. citizens, are compensated in accordance with the Local Compensation Plan (LCP).
Drafted: HRA LNiyonsenga
Cleared: CONS BKidd
Cleared: HRO CStokes
Approved: MO MJRatcliffe
Distribution: All Agencies (STATE, USAID, DAO, PC, CDC)