VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
This is a Senior Management position reporting to the Country Director. The incumbent will manage the Country Office (CO) people function which includes employees and volunteers. S/he will ensure good people management practice, an efficient customer care service and adherence to global and local policies and procedures. As part of the Global People Group, matrix report to the Regional People Manager to implement the people plan to deliver high performance, change and transformation.
Manage the Country Office support operations in line with Country Office strategy.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
• Mastery of knowledge in Development studies
• Substantial senior level programme leadership and management experience in a complex INGO
• Evidence of progressive experience in evidence-based programme development,
• Evidence of use of participatory methods in programming.
• Proven programme development and management experience
Ability to demonstrate:
• Successful team leadership and management experience in a complex INGO.
• high level involvement in strategy development and implementation work
• Innovation in development especially in moving development outcomes into advocacy.
Ability to manage:
• Significant-sized budgets successfully.
• Fundraising and M&E expertise
• Representation and negotiation skills – ability to negotiate difficult deals and maintain relations with external stakeholders.
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office word, outlook and excel.
• Financial Management – Proven ability to develop and provide strategic monitoring to program budgets.
• Planning and Time Management – Able to prioritise tasks, manage time and tight schedules, work effectively under pressure, and assist direct reports with prioritization of tasks and meeting deadlines.
Representation and negotiation skills – ability to negotiate difficult deals and maintain relations with external stakeholders.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Computer skills – MS Office, Outlook, Internet.
• Ability to travel and spend time away from base and home as required.
• Work experience or good understanding of the Rwandan/East African context.
• Good understanding of the Rwanda development context; experience in at least one sector of VSO Rwanda’s current work: education, disability or youth/livelihoods; and possibly also experience of working in organizations that use volunteers
• Ability to communicate in French (Writing and speaking).
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date
19 Oct 2015
To be confirmed
As soon as possible