In efforts to build capacity and prepare for the scale-up phase Wanda is recruiting for the following position:
Job Title: Veterinary
Reports To: Managing Director
Direct Reports: Animal Health Assistants
Responsible for: Ensuring farmers get more output from the feed, labor, and other resources they use in farm animal production.
About Us: Across Africa smallholder families are struggling to make more productive use of their farmland. Most are currently unable to produce enough, either to feed their families an adequate nutritional diet, or to sell in the market and generate sufficient income to meet other needs.
Population growth exerts continuous pressure on arable land, resulting in family shamba sizes shrinking with each generation, and/or triggering local migration from densely populated high-potential agricultural zones into more marginal land in the semi-arid areas.
Whichever the scenario, they need the right technologies to grow more food more often, and to produce crops of higher nutritional and market value. Of particular concern – one of the topmost priorities –is the issue of soil health.
African farmland soils are badly depleted, due to continuous farming land not allowed to rejuvenate, which is worsened by nutrient mining without replenishing soil nutrients.
The smallholder‘s challenge is either to produce more food and more income from less and less land with rapidly deteriorating soils, or to turn drylands into productive farms. So the right technologies must include those which can restore and improve soil health and fertility.
Currently the most widely known and available technologies are inorganic fertilizers, which are not matched to the particular needs of specific soils or agro-economic zones. The lack of knowledge and access to organic fertilizers hinders farmers‘ uptake of sustainable agricultural practices.
In 2011 Wanda Agriculture was established to address these challenges and deliver along the triple bottom line – profit, people and planet.
Having completed its technology research and licensing phase, proof of concept stage and first half of its pilot phase, the company has split into two strategic units – Wanda Organic to produce effective soil and plant health solutions and Wanda Mobile to distribute the solutions and service the end user.
- Stock Management – oversee animal vaccines & drugs stock level maintenance, storage and dispatch as per the company policy.
- Recruitment of Animal Health Technicians – interviewing, selection, on-boarding and exit of the team in line with company policies and procedures.
- Training – periodic training of Animal Health Technicians with the focus on Veterinary and sales skills.
- Daily operations management – Set work schedule and ensure they are followed including on ground support where necessary as per agreed strategy.
- Treatment – prescribing the appropriate treatment of the animal.
- Consultancy – Rendering of technical services to clients of veterinary services
- Reporting – Daily reports to immediate supervisor.
Key Performance Measures
- Sales targets.
- Company efficiency (Processes and systems)
- Team satisfaction and turnover.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- A Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (BVM) Degree from a university recognized in Kenya.
- Diploma in Animal Health and Production or Range Management
- At least 3 – 6 years working experience in provision of on farm extension service, farmers training, animal production and vaccination
- Be registered by the Kenya Veterinary Board
- Have been retained all the CPD points (20 Points each year)
Personal skills and attributes required
- Customer Oriented
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Problem Solving
How to Apply
Email your application to [email protected]