External Vacancy Announcement No: RBN/012/2015
Post Title: Human Resources Assistant
Grade: Service Contract SC5 (G5 equivalent)
Duty Station: WFP’s Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, based in Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Service Contract Salary Bands
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
We are currently seeking to fill the position of Human Resources Assistant, in support of the Regional Bureau office, based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Regional Bureau provides strategic guidance, policy / technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda.
Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the National HR Officer and the overall supervision of the Regional HR Officer, the Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide assistance on general HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high quality HR services are delivered to clients.
- Provide guidance and on‐the‐job training to other staff, to support their development and increased knowledge of HR systems and procedures required to perform their duties.
- Liaise with other internal units/offices on HR related matters, i.e. payroll, contracts, etc. and provide necessary information in order to enable timely HR services.
- Extract and compile HR data on staff recruitment and selection, contractual conditions, entitlements, performance Long Service Awards, Emergency Preparedness information and training requirements, to support analysis and reporting needs.
- Assist and provide support in recruitment of national/local staff in the National Officer and General Services categories;
- Provide administrative support in various HR activities in the areas of work allocated by the National HR officer including on‐boarding of new staff members in compliance with relevant processes and procedures.
- Maintain confidential personnel records, HR databases and archives, to ensure data and files are accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards.
- Draft various HR documentation required for the specific area of work (e.g. employment contracts, transfer letters, training‐related documents, identification cards, UN Laissez Passer, bank accounts etc.) ensuring accuracy and meeting established deadlines.
- Use HR management systems for entering and updating a variety of HR data including assistance in monitoring various deadlines (e.g. contract expiration, PACE, etc.), ensuring compliance with the established deadlines and accuracy of HR data.
- Support staff deployment and related administrative actions including preparation of basic reports, to facilitate efficient HR service enabling WFP to respond quickly to a crisis.
- Act as RBN Regional RB medical focal point; assist RB National staff with issuance of medical cards and processing of medical claims and provide support to staff from the Region who are medically evacuated to Nairobi in conjunction with Kenya Country Office medical focal point;
- Maintain and update RB staffing list and organigram on a monthly basis;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Successful completion of secondary school education, preferably supplemented by technical training/diploma in Human Resources Management.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures and communication skills.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible support work experience in general administrative work, including at least two years in human resources or other related field.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of general HR administrative work practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Good communication skills and basic understanding of HR principles and their application in order to respond to and resolve general HR queries.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a wide range of individuals in order to provide a high quality support service.
- Ability to collate and compile relevant data from a variety of sources in order to produce periodic reports for supervisor(s).
- Ability to monitor and record personnel files and documentation in an organised manner and in line with compliance standards
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English essential.
- Desirable skills: Training and/or experience using MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and other WFP software; knowledge of WFP Human Resources policies and procedures.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications ONLY, according to the following procedures:
Go to: http://i‐recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/15‐0018044
Step 1: Create your online CV
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
Note: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 21 August 2015.
Only short‐listed candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries relating to this VA please send them to: [email protected]
WFP does not charge fees at any stage during the recruitment process.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.