Post Grade: Fixed Term – FT, NOB Duty Station: Nairobi
Date of issue: 18 August 2016 Deadline for application: 01 September 2016
- The Programme Policy Officer will work under the Relief and Refugees unit under the overall supervision of the Head of the unit (HoU). The incumbent will support the Government of Kenya, working closely with the Ministry of Devolution and Planning, State Department of Special Programmes in the implementation of relief activities, based on assessed needs or other emergency related responses.
- The incumbent’s key function in the Ministry will be to support coordination, documentation and reporting on relief response in the Ministry. This position is a secondment position to the Governement and the incumbent is expected to spend 60% of his/her time working from the Ministry of Devolution.
- The other 40% of time, the incumbent will work within the Relief and Refugees unit to support Kenya Country Office operations related activities that incllude Food Commodity Management for the resilience activities and continuos liaison with other units, mainly in logistics and budget & programming to ensure smooth management of food commodities as well as timely delivery to the counties.
- Furthermore, the Officer will work closely with Heads of Field Offices to ensure adequate, timely allocation and accountability of food resources.
Program Policy Job Key Accountabilities:
- Provide capacity support to the Ministry of Devolution & Planning in the implementation of relief and emergency response activties; which includes among others consultative and technical reviews to establish the existing capacities and gaps for potential capacity strengthening in emergency preparedness and response;
- Develop action plan for capacity strengthening initiatives in the identified gap areas and lead the actual implementation of recommended interventions and programmes that will include training of relevant staff and other agreed upon capacity support activities.
- Provide strategic advice in the design, planning and implementation of relief food assistance coordinated between the Directorate of Special Programmes and other stakeholders.
- Support the Relief and Refugee Head of Unit in the management of emergency preparedness and implemetation of emergency programmes at Kenya Coutry Office.
- Support the resilience unit in resource Management; in consultation with the Resource Management unit on food pipeline based information;
- Resource Based Planning, allocate and prepare Food Release Notes (FRN) and follow closely with logistics unit to ensure timeliness in food delivery to EDPs at county level.
- Prepare and review timely reports and documents; project documents, proposals, log frames, Standard Project Reports (SPRs), budgets revisions, pipeline, donor and monthly executive briefs for relief related activities.
- Prepare response analysis documents and implementation strategy describing implementation arrangements for food assistance to operationalise bi annual food security assessments.
- Support the HoU to prepare key communication messages for both external and internal audience to WFP on relief and emergency related issues.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the HoU.
Minimum qualifications & Education for Program Policy Job
- University Degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Social Sciences, Economics, Agriculture, International Affairs, Business Administration, Development Studies or a field relevant to International Development Assistance such as Nutrition, Food Security or humanitarian response.
- Master’s Degree in relevant disciplines will be an asset.
- At least five years of postgraduate experience with an International Organisation or Government in the field of food assistance and community development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Government with the required diplomacy and tactical skills to handle complex situations
- Posess excellent communciation skills with ability to discuss and train senior government officers in a respectful, clam and composed manner
- Good knowledge of key functions of the Ministry of Devolution and Planning, especially the State Department of Special Planning will be an added advanatage
- Skills and experiences in public sector management, development projects, emergency assistance and/or operational aspects of multilateral food assistance.
- Advanced analytical skills, resourcefulness, maturity of judgement, negotiating skills and ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team and cope with difficult situations, demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts and staff within the office, host population, donors, NGOs and other UN agencies.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under supervision.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified Candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures: Go HERE Step 1: Create your online CV. Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application. NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.