Vacancy Announcement No: 16-0022395
Job Title: Programme Policy Officer, Data Analyst – (Re-advertisement)
Post Type / Grade: Fixed Term, NOA
Duty Stations: Nairobi
Date of issue: 14 September 2016
Deadline for application: 27 September 2016
Accountabilities: Under the direct supervision of the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and close consultation with the Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Officer and the Head of the Unit, the Programme Policy Officer (Data Analyst) is responsible for all VAM and Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) database systems, analysis and information management.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop and test databases for VAM food security and market surveys and assessments, and M&E systems for the Kenya country office Programs. Continuously upgrade and maintain all program databases, in line with changing reporting requirements.
- Continually advice and improve VAM and M&E tools and databases in line with new innovations and technology advancements so as to ensure the tools exhibit improved and efficient data collection and analysis capabilities and are more user friendly.
- Develop and continually update technical user manuals and documentation for database systems.
- Migrate all databases to an online platform and create a central dashboard where food security and monitoring tools, analysis, graphs, maps, reports and guidelines can be accessed, retrieved and visualized by relevant program staff. Manage the update, repair and maintenance of online platforms.
- In close liaison with the IT unit, ensure that all databases, online platforms, servers and tools comply with WFP corporate IT standards and protocols.
- Implement features that ensure data safety, cleaning, validation and integrity. Develop data models, database structures, graphic user interfaces, standard queries and reports.
- Applying appropriate statistical principles, identify, analyse, and interpret trends or patterns in complex datasets to support VAM and M&E in analysis and reporting. In consultation with the VAM and M&E officers, perform data analysis and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Provide support to studies, evaluations and monitoring activities through training, database design, data collection, data analysis and report writing.
- In consultation with the M&E Officer, co-ordinate and provide technical support on data collection, collation, processing, analysis and database systems development and management to the country and sub offices and field M&E focal points.
- Participate in food security assessments, studies and monitoring activities.
- In liaison with OMN and GoK, provide support where required in structuring and upgrading of monitoring and early warning databases.
- Assist the VAM officer in producing simple maps when needed.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the officer.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in one or more of the following disciplines; Computer Science, Information Technology, or Statistics is desirable. An advanced degree in the disciplines above, will be an added advantage.
- At least two years’ postgraduate professional experience in the relevant field.
- Experience in using relational database systems including MS SQL Server, Oracle and Microsoft access, Mastery of Software Development Tools e.g. Asp.net(C#, VB.net), PHP and other development platforms.
- Demonstrated strong computer skills including: word processing, spreadsheet, SPSS/STATA, Access software packages & systems and prior knowledge of GIS software.
- Must have experience in developing applications for mobile devices. Prior experience with a humanitarian organization or with analysis of food security and monitoring data would be an added advantage.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy is essential.
- Maintain accurate/precise records, to perform detailed analysis and to handle a large volume of work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Work independently with minimum supervision.
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Sound judgment; demonstrated initiative and conceptual, planning and organizational skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relations and deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated high sense of integrity, trust and confidence.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications ONLY according to the following procedures:
- Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/16-0022395
- Step 1 : Create your online CV
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge fees from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.