Job Title: Accountant MGF
Organization: Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU)
Project Name: Competitive and Enterprise Development Project (CEDP)
Funding Source: World Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Grants Manager Matching Grant Facility (MGF)
The Government of Uganda has received credit from the World Bank towards implementation of the Competitive and Enterprise Development Project (CEDP). The project development objective (PDO) is to improve the competitiveness of enterprises in Uganda through supporting reforms in priority productive and service sectors geared towards a better investment climate with particular focus on MSMEs.
The 5 year project comprises of four major components and will be implemented by seven agencies among them is Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB). However, the overall coordination of the Project will lie with the Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) through a Project Coordination Unit (PCU). The Government of Uganda recognizes the vital role that the private sector plays in the social economic development of the country. The MGF supports interventions in high-potential and sector specific sub-sectors including: tourism, coffee, horticulture, grains and pulses, fisheries, edible oils, and information and communication technology (business process outsourcing). In a bid to address some of the constraints facing private enterprises, Government included a Matching Grant Facility (MGF) component under CEDP that aims at;
• Improving enterprise capacity by facilitating beneficiaries access to grants of up to 50% towards use of sector specific business development services (BDS), building skills and improving quality standards at firm level.
• Increasing the growth and competitiveness of the private sector in Uganda in order to maximize returns on products/services through value chain analysis.
Job Summary: The Accountant Matching Grant Facility (MGF) will render support the World Bank CEDP MGF Project through carrying out the day-to-day finance function activities including budget execution, processing accounting transactions, providing updates on project expenditure and participating in preparation of periodic financial reports. The Accountant will ensure accountability, internal control development and enforcement as per the guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• In charge of reviewing Client Claims submitted for reimbursement for compliance to operational and financial procedures.
• Reviewing expenditure accountability documentation for completeness, adequacy and compliance to operational and financial guidelines.
• The incumbent will be managing working advance sub-ledger in accordance with laid down procedures
• Entering all financial transactions into the Financial Management Systems
• In charge of preparing monthly bank reconciliation statements for review by the Project Financial Management Specialist
• Responsible for reviewing and updating the grant commitment ledger on a regular basis
• In charge of preparing regular periodic management reports in accordance with operating guidelines.
• Supporting in the preparation of annual financial reports and accounts
• Generating vehicle and telephone usage reports
• Preparing staff pay roll and remitting statutory deductions on a timely basis
• Managing the component assets
• Raise payment vouchers for review and authorization.
• Prepare bank payment instructions for approved claims
• Properly file all accounting documents in accordance with the project guidelines.
• Manage the component imprest in accordance with project guidelines.
• Take part in the preparation of periodic progress management reports in accordance with GoU and World Bank guidelines.
• Perform any other legally accepted duties and roles as may be assigned by the Grants Manager from time to time.
Key Performance Indicators:
• Monthly report on outstanding invoices and payments to clients
• Well maintained filling system of payment documentation.
• Monthly bank reconciliation statements
• Payroll and update on statutory deduction returns
• Monthly expenditure reports on motor vehicle and telephone usage
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate should hold an Honors degree in Accounting or Finance; Bachelor of Commerce, Business Administration with a major in accounts;
• Possession of full Professional Qualification in Accountancy (CPA or ACCA)
• At least five (5) years of finance and accounting experience in public sector and at least two with donor funded project.
• Computer literacy skills with knowledge in the use of Accounting Software Application, (e.g. Oracle Financials, Navision Microsoft Office) Knowledge of IFMS is an added advantage.
• Excellent communication and report writing skills;
• Proven high degree of honesty, integrity and versatility.
• The applicant must be prepared to work under pressure to meet tight project targets
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate well with a multiplicity of stakeholders.
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to deliver their application letters, updated curriculum vita and photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
Please indicate the position being applied for on top of the envelope.
The Project Coordinator,
Competitiveness and Enterprise Development Project (CEDP)
Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) – Lower Building
Plot 43, Nakasero Road,
P. O. Box 7683, Kampala- Uganda.
Deadline: 16th October, 2015 by 17:00 Hours