Job Title: Project Accountant
Organisation: National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U)
Project Name: Regional Communication Infrastructure Program (RCIP)
Funding Source: World Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Finance and Administration
The National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U) was established as a statutory body under the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda Act, 2009 as one of the key players in the Information and Communications Technology Sector. Its mandated is to coordinate, promote and monitor IT development within the context of national social and economic development, with a vision as “a facilitator of a knowledge-based, globally competitive Uganda where social transformation and economic development is supported through IT enabled services.”
About World Bank RCIP Program:
The Government of Uganda has secured funding from the International Development Association (IDA) to finance various activities under the Regional Communications Infrastructure Program (RCIP). The Regional Communication Infrastructure Program (RCIP) Uganda will complement existing country ICT and e-government Infrastructure initiatives by helping boost the already existing e-government infrastructure and bridge the financing and technical gaps. The project will be implemented by the National Information Technology Authority-Uganda (NITA-U). The beneficiaries will be the Ministry of Information Communications Technology (MoICT) and Public Procurement and Disposal of Public assets Authority (PPDA).
Job Summary: The Project Accountant will support the World Bank in providing high quality financial management procedures in support of successful achievement of specific outputs in the logical framework and approved work plans of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee all the Project finances in accordance with the approved financial controls by both the Government of Uganda and the World Bank.
• Actively participate in the project’s budgeting and work planning processes;
• Regularly review and advise the RCIP Programme Manager on all expenditure requests.
• Prepare payment authorization letters for the Accounting Officer as appropriate, in favour of executors and service providers of approved projects;
• Expeditiously follow up approvals of expenditure requests and related accountabilities of funds;
• Update and maintain all project accounting information/records in a complete and orderly manner;
• Prepare and follow up endorsement and payment of relevant loan withdrawal applications;
• Take part in the audit processes of the project, particularly facilitating audit team members’ easy access to the project financial records;
• Send timely feedback on the approval processes of expenditure requests and the preparation of payment orders by the Accounting Officer
• Obtain/review accountabilities for expenditure from related executors and service providers.
• Maintain a record of the fixed Assets and inventories;
• Prepare quarterly financial reports and annual accounts on a timely basis.
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director Finance and Administration.
Key Performance Indicators:
• Detailed Project budget and work plan every six months
• Cash flow forecasts for project needs based on the work plans including PPDA needs
• Withdrawal applications submitted quarterly with Interim Financial Reports (IFRs) within 45 days after the end of the quarter.
• Summary statement of expenditures for Contracts subject to prior review by World Bank
• Annual financial statements
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant should hold a good Bachelors’ Degree in Commerce, Business Administration or Financial Management (Accounting Option) from a recognized university.
• Professional Qualification in Accountancy (CPA or ACCA)
• Membership of the accountancy professional body such as ICPA (U) or ACCA
• At least five years of related accounting experience. Prior exposure and experience in public sector and donor funded projects will be an added advantage.
• Excellent knowledge of the relevant Accounting Computer packages.
• Excellent track record of professional integrity
• Good planning and organisational skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong report writing and presentation skills.
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Communications: Very good communication skills (spoken and written), including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences on environmental related matters, good negotiation skills and to prepare a variety of written documents, contracts, reports, etc. in a clear, concise style.
• Teamwork: Very good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Integrity: Must be a person of proven honesty and does not tolerate corruption and unethical behaviors in all its forms and manifestations.
• Innovation: Must be a person with ability to seek new ways of doing things efficiently to deliver value to our customers.
• Customer Centricity: Must be a person who strives to satisfy customers and clients. Should be able to understand what the customer wants and delivering it flawlessly.
• Quality: Must be a person who thinks of quality and continuous improvement in his/her work.
How to Apply:
All candidates who meet the job requirements/specifications and with the right personal attributes are invited to complete and submit their application form, download here, with a cover letter, supported by curriculum vitae, copies of certificates and testimonials, and must specify day time telephone contact, postal and email addresses of both the applicant and three referees, to the address below.
The Executive Director,
National Information Technology
Authority – UGANDA (NITA-U),
Palm Courts, Plot 7A, Rotary Avenue (former lugogo bypass)
P.O. Box 33151, Kampala-Uganda
Tel: 0417 801 038
Or via email: [email protected] (application must not exceed 10MBs)
Applicants must also submit with their application verifiable evidence supporting previous relevant appointments such as appointment letters and employment contracts.
Deadline: 30th September, 2015 (Not later than 17.00 hrs. Local Time).
NB: No application will be accepted without a duly completed and signed standard application form (refer to above).