Job Title: Civil Engineer (2 Job Opportunities)
Organization: Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports
Project Name: Skill Development Project (SDP)
Funding Source: World Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator – ARSDP & USDP
About World Bank SDP Project:
The Government of Uganda applied for US$100,000,000 financing from the World Bank for the Skill Development Project (SDP) whose objectives to enhance the capacity of institutions to deliver high quality and demand driven training programs in the Agriculture, Construction and Manufacturing sectors. The purpose of SDP is to create a scalable model for high quality vocational and technical training which is linked to labor market needs ~or specific sectors. The model comprises of establishing Centers of Excellence (CoE) with a network of vocational institutions (with well- prepared students; well-trained faculty; high quality, relevant curricula; adequate facilities and equipment; teaching resources and assessment systems), and an institutional framework that encompasses development sector skill councils. The project will work with four colleges, 12 network institutes and will focus on three sectors of manufacturing, construction and agriculture. The Uganda SDP under Component 2 shall support Improving Quality and Relevance of Skills Development through upgrading three Uganda Technical Colleges (UTC) at (Lira, Elgon, and Bushenyi) and Agricultural College (Bukalasa) to CoEs, offering competency-based raining of high quality in low-level (artisans), medium-level (craftsman) and higher-level (technicians) skills demanded in selected trades/occupations in the manufacturing, construction, and agriculture sectors of the Ugandan economy.
Job Summary: The Civil Engineer will support the Project through the provision of Construction Management functions of the Projects in liaison with Construction Management Unit of the MoEST&S. He /she will be tasked with the improvement of the technical supervision and monitoring mechanism of the Ministry and ensure better quality completion of constructed facilities within the stipulated contract periods.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Regularly review existing guidelines including specifications, bill of quantities, architecture and working drawings of all facilities provided under the project;
• In charge of review by the group collectively and by the quantity surveyor, particularly, the priced bill of quantities, including the rate analyses of the different items of works and finalize the rate analyses based on first principles of all items of works of the different facilities provided under the project;
• Keenly review the bid evaluation reports, check the arithmetical corrections and comparison of bids of the responsive bidders, and the recommendations of award by the schools and submit recommendations to Assistant Commissioner, Procurement & Disposal Unit through the Assistant Commissioner /Construction Management Unit for review and decision;
• The incumbent will review the genuineness and validity and monitor and track the performance bonds and bank guarantees and ensure, that these are always updated till the handing over of the schools;
• Review and synthesize the monthly reports, identify problems and suggest recommended actions to enable the senior management to make timely decisions so that the construction is not compromised in terms of quality and timely completion;
• Prepare and send monthly, quarterly and annual reports that give a comprehensive picture of the construction work by institution/Lot/region/ and nationally, including cumulative disbursement to Assistant Commissioner/ Construction Management Unit (AC/CMU) through the Project Coordinator with copies to Commissioner TVET, Assistant Commissioner/Procurement and Disposal Unit (AC/PDU) and Head of projects;
• Routinely review requests for contract variations, process these requests and submit appropriate recommendations to AC/CMU for necessary and timely action;
• Carry out periodic and random field trips as may be required by AC/ CMU and Project Coordinator to check particularly the problematic sites, and submit appropriate remedial action to ensure both quality and timely completion;
• Participate and provide sound technical advice in all technical meetings related to civil works, whether these meetings are held ip the Ministry or at the Colleges.
• The incumbent will support in the preparation of simple repair and maintenance handbooks to ensure that the new facilities provided and equipment supplied are properly maintained and provide the training to the Project institutions’ Principals and staff in charge of repair and maintenance;
• Assist in the pre-final inspection of completed schools, undertake random check of rectification of defects and assist in the final completion of schools and handing over of the schools to the school authorities;
• Work closely with the guidance of the Assistant Commissioner CMU and support other construction activities within the Ministry financed by the World Bank.
• Provide support to other World Bank financed projects within the Ministry.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Project Coordinator – ARSDP & USDP.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The ideal candidate for the World Bank Project employee must hold a Bachelor degree in Civil/Building Engineering from a reorganized Institution. Possession of a post graduate qualification in project management will be an added advantage
• The applicant must be a registered Member of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers.
• A minimum of eight years’ experience in related area of expertise;
• Computer literacy skills
• Past exposure and experience in cost estimation and preparation of tender documents for civil works contracts with complex engineering and electro-mechanical services.
• Prior experience in the management of civil works contracts in the public sector infrastructure will be an added advantage.
• Impeccably level of integrity
• Excellent command of spoken and written English
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to deliver their application letters, updated curriculum vita and photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. Please clearly indicate the position being applied for on top of the envelope.
Ag. Commissioner Human Resource Management,
4th Floor, Embassy,
Embassy House Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Sports.
Deadline: 24th August, 2015