To play a central role in supporting innovative livelihoods initiatives to facilitate a broad based entrepreneurial mind-set and a new set of business development ideas among slum dwellers in Mukuru Kwa Njenga in Nairobi.
This will involve working with other World Concern staff, the church, partner organizations/mentors and the target community in the slums.
Duties & Responsibilities for the Project Officer Job
The Project officer will provide administrative and technical support to the overall slum livelihoods intervention, plan and support individuals and business groups in the area.
- Develop and nurture appropriate documentation in respect of good case studies in collaboration with the regional Communications officer.
- Improve on reporting the success of the interventions and the revolving funds.
- Work in collaboration with and support of accounts department for improved business performance.
- Write and submit periodic quality reports on time.
- In consultation with Program Manager develop project concepts and proposals.
- Ensure that socio economic profiling is conducted in the project area.
- Serve as the primary link to the slum community and play facilitative role in organizing community dialogue meetings.
- Establish and build World Concern relationships with the slum community in Mukuru Kwa Njenga and other stakeholders.
- Identify linkages and areas of collaboration and synergy with other organizations implementing Livelihood-business related activities in the project area.
- Actively promote the WC approach to livelihoods’ business segment with emphasis on promoting group development through support, coaching, mentoring, feedback and identification of investment needs and opportunities.
- Identifying opportunities and innovative approaches to support livelihood business activities in the slums.
- Enable individuals, groups and business associations and communities to identify needs and encourage involvement in livelihood business activities.
- Support the development of existing businesses, the establishment of business groups and the formation of community focused networks.
- Ensure that targets and work schedules are adhered to in order to achieve objectives, maintain appropriate documentation and prepare monthly activity and achievement reports.
- Carry out evaluation of initiatives and actions in a systematic manner.
- Perform any other functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the supervisor in order to meet the level of services in the organization.
- Continually assess the business environment for better programming.
Project Officer Job Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in Microfinance or Entrepreneurship, or relevant tertiary qualification in cooperative and Economic Development studies, and/or experience in related fields,
- Experience in community policy development & advice; facilitating, coordinating, and managing project plans.
- At least 3 years of progressive programming experience including understanding of and ability to promote empowering and developmental models in community work through highly effective communication skills
- Proven credibility, integrity and professionalism – demonstrates these characteristics at all times.
- Ability to assist groups to formulate their ideas into constructive actions, ability to undertake community based research, and to effectively complete projects.
- Exercises sound judgment and political sensitivity – especially in relation to the slum community organization, local governments etc.
- Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and CV to [email protected] not later than 8th June 2018.