Volunteer Assistant Job at World Food Programme
WFP KCO Engineering and Construction Unit
The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill a volunteer position under the Engineering and Construction Unit, based in Nairobi. The volunteer opportunity will be available for a period of 3 months minimum, starting in October 2016.
The candidate may be requested to conduct a variety of activities while based in the Nairobi Office, including conducting assessments; providing technical assistance; developing engineering and energy strategies, scope of works, bills of quantities and estimates; overseeing projects, implementation, and monitoring; convening/participating in meetings with client units, procurement committees, technical experts, consultants, contractors and necessary stakeholders. The context, objectives, and expected deliverables will be identified for each specific project.
Under supervision of WFP Engineer, the selected candidates will be assisting with following key duties:
Volunteer Assistant Job Duties
- Assisting the Engineer in technical and financial analysis and evaluations for construction project tenders.
- Help to prepare tender specifications for construction, supply and/or maintenance of facilities and equipment relative to the areas of responsibility, including scope of works, designs, drawings and BOQs.
- Follow-up and prepare responses to requests and queries from field colleagues on construction projects including processing of new requests.
- Assist to prepare, evaluate, review and revise project documents, and analyse specifications included in project proposals for accuracy and feasibility.
- Develop standard project drawings for facilities such as school kitchens, elevated tanks, accommodation units, stores etc.
- Helping in follow-up and give technical support and assistance on ongoing construction projects including assisting to implement WFP Quality Assurance and Quality Control Procedures by verification of applications of proper standards in construction projects.
- Help in proper filling and maintaining projects records.
- Research and write news articles and short case studies on recent Engineering and Construction achievements by WFP Kenya, i.e WASH Projects,
- Refugee Camp set-ups, facilities improvements, energy efficiency and environmental improvement initiatives at WFP for publication on WFP websites;
- Assist in preparation of engineering reports, documentation and data processing.
- Help in integration of the recent construction manual, policies, guidelines and contract formats into WFP construction procedures.
Geo-referencing and GIS updating of WFP constructed projects to enhance WFP’s Inventory and Data Management Plan;
- Help with adoption of WFP V-fire Workflow Processes.
- Contribute to the research and drafting of WFP Kenya-Specific Engineering Procedures (or the integration of the same into existing WFP Kenya standard operating procedures), and developing of templates, tools, and other support materials to enhance WFP Kenya management of engineering projects.
- Updating and maintaining the WFP Engineering resource library (electronic documents and online references).
Essential Requirements for Volunteer Assistant Job
- Currently enrolled or have recently graduated from a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or related discipline;
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate study;
- Have attended courses in the last 12 months;
- Proficiency in MsOffice (Word, Excel, Power Point). Proficiency in GIS and other engineering and architectural softwares will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in English and good writing skills.
How to Apply
Go here Step 1: Create your online CV. Step 2: Click on the hyperlink to view the current opening(s) and “Apply” to submit your application(s). NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this Internship. Deadline for applications: 13 September 2016 WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status. Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.