Grade : Consultant, SSA (NOC Equivalent)
Duration : 6 Months
Duty Station : WFP Regional Bureau, Nairobi with travel to the RBN countries
Salary : As per SSA Salary Scales
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates. Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. We are currently seeking to fill the position of National Data Manager & Analyst in the Food Security Analysis unit also known as Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM), to support WFP’s mobile data collection schemes (e.g. mVAM, Premise etc), analysis, management and use of information. In an effort to support evidence based programmes, the Regional Bureau for East and Central Africa (RBN) in Nairobi has been supporting country offices in the collection of real time data through the food security and operations monitoring (FSMO) systems, and in the rolling out of the mobile – VAM to strengthen the FSMO in the countries.
Duties and Responsibilities: Under the leadership of the Regional Head of VAM and the direct supervision of the Regional Assessment Officer and in close collaboration with the entire VAM team in Nairobi and East and Central Africa WFP country offices, the Consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
· Manage, extract and analyse food security and price data from the different data sources (mVAM and traditional assessments) in the region and produce analytical reports, data visualizations and other relevant products;
· Design and implement mobile data collection and face-to-face assessments regarding sampling, design of tools, data management and analysis;
· Develop guidance and tutorial materials and conduct training for RB and COs staff to implement mVAM in Ethiopia, Burundi, Uganda, Rwanda and South Sudan;
· In agreement and coordination with VAM HQ, the consultant will collect and systematize household food security data (from WFP and other data sources) related to the indicators below, by country but at a subnational level (highest resolution possible). The indicators must be extracted from different data sources and various formats (including SPSS datasets, Excel spread sheets, STATA and CSV files). The indicator data must then be reformatted and inserted into an existing data structure as defined in the VAM Reporting System http://vam.wfp.org/;
Indicator Number of countries Years
Food Consumption Score ; All RBN Countries ; Most recent available + 5 year trend
Coping Strategy Index; All RBN Countries; Most recent available + 5 year trend
Main household Income Sources; All RBN Countries; Most recent available + 5 year trend
· In partnership with the Gender/Markets team continue developing the Women’s Empowerment Index (WEMI) and support the team in analysis of gender information and design of gender-sensitive remote data collection tools;
· Serve as information management focal point for VAM unit in the NRB and working closely with the Progamme staff especially M &E on the indicators stated above;
· Perform any other tasks as requested.
Qualifications And Experience
Advanced degree in computer science, information science, epidemiology, statistics, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
At least 5 years of experience in humanitarian assessments, information management and data analysis.
Knowledge & Skills
- Firm theoretical knowledge of sampling, statistical hypothesis testing, generalized linear regression models;
- Proficient with statistical analysis using modern programming tools (such as R and Python) and comfortable creating repeatable, automated analyses;
- Proficient with SQL, database design, and database packages such as SQL Server, MySQL, and PostGRES; working knowledge of Hadoop, and other NoSQL paradigms is an asset;
- Demonstrated commitment to creating reproducible and well-documented code;
- Knowledge of GIS software (ARC GIS, Q GIS etc.) is an asset;
- Strong written and oral English skills;
- Intermediate written and oral French skills;
- Ability to work independently but interacting with a large team.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English essential. Good knowledge of Kiswahili is highly desirable.
How to Apply
Submit your CV and Application online : Click Here