World Food Programme (WFP)
Programme Policy Officer (Country Strategic Plans)
Vacancy Announcement No: RBN/018/2016
Grade: Fixed Term (NOB level)
Duty Station: WFP Regional Bureau for East and Central Africa
Salary: As per UN Salary Scales
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates. Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
The position of Programme Policy Officer (Country Strategic Plans) is expected to support the new approach to programme planning in WFP; which seeks to:
i) support countries in making progress towards zero hunger;
ii) operationalize the WFP Strategic Plan at the country level from 2017 onwards; and
iii) enhance strategic coherence, operational effectiveness and partnerships to address food insecurity and malnutrition.
The planning process has two core elements: a national strategic review process that examines approaches to achieving zero hunger, in line with Sustainable Development Goal 2 followed by formulation of a WFP Country Strategic Plan.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Working in the Programme Unit, under the direct supervision of the Project Cycle Manager, the Programme Policy Officer (Country Strategic Plans) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute towards the development of Country Strategic Plans, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
- Engage in cross-functional discussions required to operationalize the new approach, in particular with the budgetary, resource mobilization and monitoring and evaluation functions.
- Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects of considerable size/complexity, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Research and analyze a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of policies, programmes and activities.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs, e.g. through providing inputs into training materials.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Country offices in the region are supported to design and manage programmes that effectively meet food assistance and nutrition needs and in line with national vision and priorities.
- Planning processes and timelines are effectively managed to ensure harmonization with national agendas and other UN planning timeframes as well as with internal corporate deadlines and targets.
- Ensure timely and well managed projects, programmes and/or operations
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other fields relevant to International Development assistance, or first degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- At least three or more years of post-graduate professional with increasing responsibility in school meals in a bilateral, multilateral or non-governmental organization.
- Proven capacity to conduct policy analysis and to successfully engage in policy dialogue.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in bringing global strategies into regional/country context.
- Proven experience in building synergies among projects and regions.
Knowledge and skills:
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgement, tact, negotiating skills.
- Demonstrates ability to incorporate technical information into policy and strategy formulation and into programme design and implementation, and to appropriately communicate it internally and externally;
- Ability to translate policy and programme principles into relevant, effective and context specific approaches.
- Experience working in a multi-donor environment.
- Ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- High capacity for organization and coordination, as well as an ability to work with a high degree of independence in a team environment.
- Fluent English, written and oral, excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Outlook, Word, Excel and Power point.
- A willingness to travel frequently, often to remote areas.
- Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications ONLY, according to the following procedures:
- Internal candidates: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=6542&company=C0000168410P&username=
- External candidates: https://career012.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=6542&company=C0000168410P&username=
Step 1: Click on the above links Step 2: Click on “Apply” to register and create your online CV Step 3: Submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 3 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 23 December 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries relating to this VA please send them to: [email protected]
WFP does not charge fees at any stage during the recruitment process. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide