World Food Programme (WFP)
Vacancy Announcement No: RBN/013/2016
Procurement Officer, SC9
Grade: Service Contract, SC9 (NOB equivalent)
Duty Station: WFP Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Service Contract Salary Bands
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill the position of Procurement Officer at the SC9 level, in support of the Regional Bureau office, based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Regional Bureau provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Regional Procurement Officer, the Procurement Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute towards the development of procurement plans and processes ensuring compliance with wider procurement policies and WFP standards.
- Support or manage procurement programs and operational activities, (e.g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts), following standard processes to contributing to successful procurement of food and non-food commodities or services.
- Track and analyze data to provide recommendations for process improvement.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reports of procurement activities, to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization.
- Collate information and draft appropriate responses to recommendations to support auditing of procurement activities and ensure conformity with compliance rules.
- Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts and external partners including suppliers, superintendents, companies, etc. to align procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Support training of WFP staff to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of food and non-food commodities and services, for example designing and reviewing training materials.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed goods and services to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Perform other tasks as required
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Advanced University degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Engineering, Legal or Accounting or other relevant field, or First University degree with an additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: At least three or more years of post-graduate progressively responsible professional work experience in related areas.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with procurement activities (purchasing, vendor research, etc.)
- Experience conducting cost analyses.
- Experience working with vendors or other partners.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is essential.
- Training and/or experience using MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and outlook.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications ONLY, according to the following procedures:
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/16-0022016 Step 1: Create your online CV Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 02 September 2016. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries relating to this VA please send them to: [email protected]
WFP does not charge fees at any stage during the recruitment process.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide