Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Where markets function, WFP engages increasingly in cash-based transfers to assist beneficiaries, allowing them to access food items via existing retail outlets.
About the role
WFP is reviewing how it engages with the retail sector and now seeks in-country assistance to implement its new retail supply chain engagement strategy to achieve:
- An increase in purchasing power for beneficiaries and other customers of WFP retail partners, or a reduction on cost for WFP to operate;
- Development of the retailers through education, system deployment, better buying, storing and transporting practices etc.;
- Improved in-store data gathering, price and demand monitoring;
- Utilization of itemized sales data to support operational improvements; and
- Development of WFP’s in-house retail capability.
We are at looking to identify Retail Experts to support our Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq, Palestine, Kenya and Sudan Country Office in the implementation of a country-specific retail strategy (for an initial 5-11 months consultancy).
The tasks to be undertaken by the consultant in each of the Countries of engagement would include, but not be limited to:
- Identify and contract retailers that offer best value;
- Plan and negotiate discounts from retail partners;
- Identify and implement best-value camp environment retail operating model;
- Design and implement “buying clubs” to lower prices in contracted shops;
- Recommend and implement the “appropriate” retail network to remove inefficient operations and secure best value;
- Train and develop the WFP staff that will play a part in implementation.
Further, the aim is to create mechanisms to encourage beneficiaries to access WFP retailers and high nutrition commodities, develop the retail sector and to create and implement a data gathering and analytical capability. The goal is to achieve the required savings and provide a self -standing development and monitoring capability once the assignment is over.
- 10% price reduction in shelf prices of WFP contracted shops (selected basket of food items amounting to no less than 75% of sales) – discounts to customer using WFP assistance is also permissible;
- Demonstrated retail supply chain skills and knowledge, transferred to assigned to WFP staff;
- Documented approach / methodology to achieve deliverable No. 1.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- University degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Legal or Accounting or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years operational grocery retail and or wholesale retail experience
Technical Skills & Competencies:
- Good negotiation skills
- Hard working, calm, clear head, logical
- Culturally sensitive
- Ability to transfer skills and perform on-the-job-training
- Fluency in oral and written English required
- Intermediate knowledge of Arabic is desirable for selected posts
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
HOW TO APPLY:
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: June 7 2016, subject to extension
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.