Purpose of the position:
- The Communications Manager position is part of the Senior Management Team. She/he will be responsible for spearheading strategic initiatives and planning, coordination, management and delivery of the World Vision Somalia integrated marketing, public relations, and strategic communications program.
- He / She will be responsible for providing strategic and technical leadership to World Vision’s work in Somalia, as well lead a growing communications team.
- The Communications Manager will work with both external and internal constituencies to deliver on key communication initiatives for promotion, coordination, empowerment and program implementation, through the following focus areas:
Communications Manager Job Major Responsibilities:
Strategy in Communication
- The overall planning, organization, and direction of WV Somalia’s communication strategies and public information activities and championing the well- being of children with media elites, policymakers, funders, and leaders in higher education.
- Develop and implement WV Somalia External and Internal Communications Guidelines and Policies and ensure their adoption across the organization.
- Review and give oversight to all external World Vision Somalia’s communications, including articles, blogs, appeals, website and social media, and ensure compliance with World Vision’s brand guidelines.
- Develop, direct and deliver a communications and advocacy strategy with measurable outcomes, and ensure effective monitoring/evaluation and reporting.
- Manage the communication of risk issues in order to protect the reputation of the organization.
Donor/Public Engagement Communication
- Lead all aspects of supporting Grants Acquisition Management (GAM) in communications based on WVI best practices and technical guidelines working closely with PDU Manager.
- Productive writing, photography and packaging of feature stories and issues-oriented reports primarily focused on families and children in communities where WV Somalia is present, and utilized for web-based, electronic and print material that ensure effective donor and public engagement by WV Somalia.
- Produce and regularly update sector fact sheets for donors.
- Oversee communication officer in the productive pitching and provision of stories photos to/through “SHARE”, thereby ensuring that all such assignments are produced on schedule while meeting professional standards for informing, educating and engaging said donors
- Lead the communication officer and WASH communication senior coordinator in increasing scope and content from the field for WV Somalia external communications across all platforms including traditional media, social media, website and multi-media, to raise the profile and visibility of World Vision’s grassroots activities and impact in Somalia.
- Lead the production of quality documents for positioning WV Somalia efforts towards attaining child well-being including annual reports, publications, fact sheets, etc.
- Manage the communications planning and outputs for Global Fund and SomReP.
- Research and author communication pieces and blogs.
- Responsible for leading production of annual report
- Engage in the development and implementation of a quarterly work plan for meeting the strategic media objectives of WV Somalia and ensuring that its media profile is increased.
- With communications team, develop and maintain key in –country media contacts (in Somalia and Nairobi-based Somalia focused)
- Compile briefing documents for guest visiting WV Somalia Projects
- Liaise with National and Local Press to support ARP Programmes media coverage.
Advocacy in Communication
- Work closely with Advocacy Director in ensuring advocacy messaging is leveraged through communication channels.
- Represent World Vision Somalia at external meetings as required, acting as key liaison with politicians, government officials, international agencies and local organizations. Raise awareness among the public and those in positions of authority of World Vision’s work
- As requested, disseminate World Vision Somalia position statements and lobbying letters on key advocacy issues, proactively and in response to events.
- Ensure consistent messaging across the organization.
- Support the development and implementation of quarterly work plan for meeting the strategic advocacy communication objectives of the WV Somalia and ensuring its advocacy profile is increased.
- Collaborate with WV Somalia advocacy colleagues to help define key issues, messaging and communications channels for public advocacy initiatives
- Contribute to advocacy-oriented communications products and campaigns including wed-based and print materials, posters ,briefing papers, reports, stories and photo essays
- Undertake rapid deployment to disaster zones if/as required to produce quality stories and photos for WV Somalia and the WV Partnership
- Liaise with national and international media if /as present in disaster zones, providing them with information and assistance if/as required.
- Be responsible for learning and using emergency communications equipment in the field, if/as may be necessary for extended periods of time
- Member of National Disaster Management Teams
- Oversee production of quarterly internal newsletter ensuring quality and oversight.
- Submit monthly, quarterly, semi-annual reports to your Supervisor.
- Support the production of WV Somalia publications.
- Support the production of technical papers and reports
- Manage the ARP communications resources
- Increase the visibility of WV Somalia within the Partnership through existing and innovative channels
Qualification for Communications Manager Job
Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Degree in media, journalism, communications, public relations or related field from a recognized institution
- At least five years of experience in managing communications at a senior level
- Experience in working in volatile environment or large scale humanitarian emergency
- High level interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Ability to lead and manage a team of communications professionals
- Website and social media management experience
- Must possess excellent journalistic and photographic skills
- Ability to produce video and audio documentaries
- High skills in research, editing and report writing
- Knowledge and experience of Desk Top Publishing packages like Quark Xpress and Adobe Page Maker
- Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as negotiation skills
How to Apply