ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Worldreader (www.worldreader.org) is on a mission to bring digital books to every child and her family, so that they can improve their lives through the power of literacy and education. Globally, we are working in 39 countries, in 102 schools and libraries and are reaching a total of 35,000 people on our programs using e-readers, and over 19,000,000 people using our mobile reading apps.
An ethos of working hard, having fun and making history inspires our culture, and the team shares a passion for reading and philanthropy.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting to the Programme Manager, the Project Assistant will be based in Kericho. S/he will support a network of libraries within a specified cluster in the field, with all operational needs behind the libraries’ e-reading programmes. This will entail overseeing the implementation of the libraries e-reading programme within the region.
This is a great opportunity for a bright, high-initiative and versatile individual passionate about books to engage with communities in the region. The project position will run until November 30th 2018.
The Project Assistant will support librarians implement e-reading programmes at respective libraries.
Tasks will include the following:
- Train staff members and volunteers
- Devise and implement technical and operational training plans for e-readers, including training of patrons on e-reader usage and integrating training with e-reader usage policies and activities
- Oversees construction process of charging station
- Provide strong input and assist with the coordination of community launch events
- Supporting librarians set Inventory Management Systems including:
- Charging, regular checks, and reporting
- E-reader care on-going education
- Management and reporting in cases of breakage and loss
- Troubleshooting: diagnose minor e-reader issues
- Ensuring Data Collection and reporting to Worldreader
- Provide regular input, feedback, proposed solutions on the successes and challenges of the program
- Perform regular tracking, data collection, and reporting as specified
- Produce and submit photos and impact stories
- Attend regional librarian meetings
- Manage purchase of additional content, if applicable
- Alongside librarians, attend community outreach to promote e-reading program
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years relevant work experience or diploma/certificate holder in an Operations field or Project Management Capacity plus 3+ years of work experience in a similar field.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas highly desired: Operations, project management, research or logistics.
- Strong interest in working in the technology space and passionate about reading.
- A high degree of attention to detail, combined with excellent analytical thinking skills
- Great verbal and written communications skills.
- Willingness to perform activities that involve “rolling up the sleeves,” and getting it done.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office in general and productivity/ communication tools such as skype and email.
- High degree of professional maturity and self-motivation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in cross-cultural settings, including working with remote teams
- Ability to work both individually and closely with teams
- Flexibility and a “get the job done” attitude.
- Demonstrable passion for education and the mission of Worldreader and evidence of Worldreader’s core values: Bias for Action, collaboration, and 100% follow-through
How to Apply
Please submit your resume/curriculum vitae and a cover letter explaining why you would like to become Worldreader’s Project Assistant, Libraries, Kenya. Send your application in an email with the subject “Project Assistant, Libraries– Kenya” to [email protected] by Friday, August 12th, 2016. If shortlisted, you will be invited for an interview. Due to the volume of applications however, only those candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.