Job Vacancy: Communications Officer
Xavier Project is looking for an employee with an interest in communications and a passion for advocating for educational opportunities for refugees.
He or she will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and the salary range is 30,000 to 40,000 Kenya Shillings per month. Additional benefits to be discussed.
The officer will be supervised by the Communications Director. Target start date – May or June 2016.
The job is open to Kenyan nationals and anyone with a pre-existing right to work in Kenya.
Organisation profile: The vision of Xavier Project is for a world where everyone has the right to equal opportunities and protection wherever they live and whatever their background.
This right is denied to refugees and we use education to change this. Education provides protection and is the best possible tool to help refugees to access equal opportunities.
At Xavier Project we use pioneering education as the means to achieve our vision. We are promoting education for refugees in Kenya and Uganda in particular, so that they can have a positive difference on their communities, whether in their host countries or countries of origin.
Xavier Project has two departments each with their own strategic objective designed to meet this vision.
The Education Department aims to increase access to relevant, quality formal education delivered in a safe environment for refugee children.
The Tamuka Department aims to make vocational and life-long learning available to all refugees even in emergency situations, primarily through the use of ICT.
Xavier Project is registered as a local NGO in Uganda, an international NGO in Kenya and a company and charity in UK. All operations are in Kenya and Uganda, but a majority of funds are raised in UK.
We have a three way partnership agreement between the branches of Xavier Project and one executive team primarily based in the Xavier Project headquarters in Nairobi.
Xavier Project currently employs 28 permanent staff and has an annual income of $500,000 which has been increasing by 50% every year since its founding in 2008.
Job Description and Expectations: This employee will work in the communications and marketing team supporting Xavier Project’s communications strategy.
- Support innovative strategies for engaging Xavier Project supporters more fully
- Generate content to be shared on social media
- Maintain all online platforms, ensuring content reflects Xavier Project’s current activities
- Collect and generate content for a monthly digital newsletter for donors and wider network
- Assist in the maintenance of Xavier Project’s website and utilise the site to maximise visibility of all Xavier Project activities
- Produce printed content and promotional materials
- Generate photographic and video content to support campaigns and events
- Any other duties that from time to time should be required
- A commitment to Xavier Project’s core values and basic knowledge of refugee issues
- Engaging use of the English language in all communications
- Academic background related to Communications or Development
- An interest in pursuing a career related to Communications
- A level of self-motivation and ability to function well in a small organisation
- The position will include a design element, so knowledge of a design package is preferred
Candidates interested in applying for this job should send their CV and a covering letter to [email protected] by May 6th 2016.
Applicants are urged to apply as soon as they can and not wait until the deadline if possible.
The covering letter should be no more than one side of A4 and should describe the suitability of the candidate for the job as well as including reasons why working for Xavier Project interests them.
Applicants can feel free to attach examples of communications work they have completed in the past, particularly written communication, or include links to on-line content.
Candidates should use email title COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER.
Please also include the names and contact details of two referees.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by May 13th.
How to Apply
- For more information on what we do please visit www.xavierproject.org
- Xavier Project is an equal opportunity employer and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability.