In both Kampala and Nairobi there are over 10,000 refugee children who are not in formal education, amounting to around 50% in Nairobi and 60% in Kampala. 80% of those in formal education are not happy with the quality of the education they are receiving.
Job Description and Expectations: Xavier Project is partnering with UNICEF to provide access to education to out of school children of primary school going age across Nairobi, Kiambu, Kajiado and Mombasa Counties.
- Identify sources of income for government schools
- Continuously liaise with donors locally and internationally to keep them motivated to continue supporting the programme, either financially or through gifts in kind.
- Maintain updated records of donor information
- Take part in preparing fundraising proposals and budgets
- Record, monitor and report on financial progress
- Liaise with other education staff to identify schools in need of financial aid
- Participate in capacity building of Schools Board of Management on resource mobilization
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Extensive experience of not less than 5 years with demonstrated success in fundraising in an NGO context.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and oral)
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to work sensitively with refugee population or demonstrated experience working with marginalised communities
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in managing budgets
- Willing to travel within Kenya
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Competent in Kiswahili
- Experience in managing people from various backgrounds
- Experience working in a tough environment with vulnerable people
- Advanced experience working in the Kenyan Education sector
- Experience in writing reports and strategies
- Experience in government and private sector engagement
- Strong understanding of the challenges faced by urban refugees and other marginalised communities
How to Apply